​11 Signs You're The Cashier Every Customer Wants To Be Helped By

4. Everyone calls you over if they have a question.

632
Unsplash

I work at a local grocery store and have been a cashier for a year and a few months. It all comes pretty naturally to me now, but it didn’t when I was starting out. When you really get used to cashiering and dedicating yourself to doing a good job, you can become a real pro at it. Here are some signs of a pro cashier.

1. You don’t let customers get inside your head. For the most part.

Most customers are polite to cashiers. Some are even nice, but there are still a few every day that are true jerks. It might be because they are having an exceptionally hard day and are taking it out on you, or it might be because they are always mean. However, it is very rarely something to take personally. I mean, if they barely know your name, how could it be personal?

Long-term cashiers know this and try to brush off these tense transactions. A real pro can be yelled at by one customer, and once they walk away, smile and say hi to the next one. It’s a feat that takes emotional fortitude.

2. You always point out the survey on the receipt (if your store does that).

When you’re working a big rush and trying to go as quick as possible, or when you’re on hour 7 of 8, talking about surveys can be exhausting. It takes some real self-discipline to point it out and write the names on each one, but it’s worth it.

3. You make the customers leave with a smile on their face.

If you can make the customers laugh, that’s as good as gold. Laughs and smiles are signs of awesome customer service.

The true sign of a pro? Hearing your name all the time. Kinda like… “HEY (Your Name) I have a question. (Insert process) isn’t working and I don’t know why.” *fixes it with ease*

5. You process WICs so fast that the next customer doesn’t even realize they’re behind vouchers (for stores that accept WIC).

Customers can be rude to those with WIC vouchers sometimes or sigh heavily etc. because they don’t have the patience. If you’ve been doing WICs for a while though you can get through them before Bill even has time to roll his eyes.

6. You bust all the bad guys.

A great cashier can see right through a scam. We know when you are being overly talkative to try to get something past us. We know when you are trying to show your ID a little too quickly. We know when you are purchasing a suspicious amount of items on a suspicious kind of payment.

7. Your line moves quickly.

Some things are beyond your control but the real pros get people in and out as fast as possible. If customers actually make remarks on how fast you are, that’s when you know.

8. You answer customers’ questions before they even realize they have one.

When you see a customer looking puzzled at the prices, you know it’s time to ask for their shopper’s card. This is the same for those who train cashiers. I train cashiers occasionally where I work and all I have to do is see a certain face, and I come up to answer the question. Sometimes it’s just the sound of a particular beep that gets me to walk up.

9. You can bag groceries with accuracy and speed.

You won’t always have a bagger, so sometimes it’s on you. The quicker you can do this prevents customers from getting irritated.

10. You keep your drawer straight (and balanced).

I hate when I come up to a drawer and there are coins in the wrong place and bills all crumpled up. It’s best to keep it as neat as possible. This helps prevent mistakes. Pro cashiers also make an effort to be accurate in counting bills and change. We want balanced drawers.

11. You don't yell at anyone.

Hey, that is a freaking ACHIEVEMENT.

If you do all these things, or see cashiers that do, those are real pros. Let them know they are doing an awesome job!