11 Reasons Scarlett O'Hara Should be Everyone's Role Model

Southern belle etiquette 101

2724
The Unaffiliated Critic

If you're one of the few people who hasn't blessed themselves with the legacy that is the movie Gone with the Wind, you need to stop reading this article immediately and plop your butt in front of the TV for four hours. Not only is it considered one of the best movies in American film, but its renowned character Scarlett O'Hara is what keeps the movie in the hearts of many, even 77 years after its release. Portrayed by the fabulous Vivien Leigh, Scarlett is known for her boisterous personality and wit. Leigh's career skyrocketed after her outstanding performance in the film and was later featured in movies such as Anna Karenina and A Streetcar Named Desire. And while Scarlett may seem like just another strong female lead, there is more beneath the surface that justifies that she has earned her place in Hollywood history. So here are 11 reasons why we should all take a page from The Scarlett Handbook.

1. She's one hell of an actress.

Scarlett is no rookie when it comes to the art of acting. Whether it’s deceiving a boy to get her dessert at a party (a skill we ladies could all use) or fake crying to con money out of a man, she’s got it down pat. What can I say? The girl knows the power of a little pout.

2. She's quite resourceful.

Making a dress out of curtains? Not only is that innovative, but it’s also one of the most iconic scenes in film history. In the midst of the south’s downfall and extreme poverty, Scarlett must devise a plan to con money out of her wealthy admirer Rhett Butler in order to keep her family’s plantation. But a girl can’t go into town dressed in rags and expect to leave with dollar bills. Who knew she could accomplish so much with a silly old curtain?

3. When she sets her mind to something, there's no convincing her otherwise.

This is by far one of her most favorable traits and it’s why she remains to this day as such an iconic character. For crying out loud, she lusts after a married man throughout the whole movie. The woman’s got some patience, you have to admit.

4. She's not afraid to be herself.

From the beginning of the movie to the ending credits, Scarlett’s ability to be her full self is one that bewilders many. Particularly for women, 1800s America was a time of set rules and notions in society. Women weren’t allowed to show their shoulders until a certain time in the afternoon and if they became a widow, they’d have to wear black and refrain from social gatherings for months, unless they wanted to be shunned. But did our rambunctious Scarlett let that tie her down? Nope. She danced the night away while rocking her black veil in a time of mourning and stuffed her face in a rather unlady like way while on a date with her husband. She does what she wants when she wants however she wants.

5. Her fashion sense is fire.

I’m no expert in southern belle couture, but it’s hard to ignore Scarlett’s fabulous taste in fabric. And her fashion sense is just a reflection of her personality: bold and daring. From her memorable white and green floral dress at the Wilkes barbecue (and not to mention my personal favorite) to wearing actual drapes, the dresses in this movie are so famous that they’re sealed tight in glass on display at a museum just outside Atlanta, GA. We may not wear corsets and hoop skirts anymore, but Scarlett’s style is one to remember for ages. Besides, dressing like everyone else is boring.

6. She remains strong in times of weakness.

Katie Scarlett O’Hara may have grown up quite privileged, but all luxuries are destroyed after the Civil War. Her home was ransacked by Yankees and robbers, her mother died, her father went mad, and food was incredibly scarce. But did she lose her dignity in all of this? No. She hand-picked cotton herself, got back to her Irish roots and started farming, backstabbed the family and married her sister’s boyfriend to increase their wealth, and she even killed a man. She is certainly one tough cookie.

7. She may seem like total bitch, but she just wants to be loved like everyone else at the end of the day.

Even if she has some sick fantasy about being with Ashley. But despite his lack of interest in her, Scarlett always keeps her options open and has a charm that makes men follow her around like lost puppies. I mean, she did marry Melanie’s brother just to spite Ashley. After going through a handful of sugar daddies and toying with every boy’s emotions, Scarlett’s left with a certain emptiness at the end of the day. Her hunger for attention often leaves her unsatisfied and lonely but as our beloved Scarlett says, “I won’t think about that right now. I’ll think about it tomorrow.”

8. She doesn't take no for an answer.

The obvious example is the ending of the movie. After realizing that she truly does love Rhett, Scarlett faces a bitter truth when he leaves her and spews his famous line, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” So she faces her downfall due to her ignorant behavior, but no isn’t in her vocabulary. She heads back to Tara to think of someway to get him back. She manifests her determination with a simple Fiddle-dee-dee! and carries on.

9. This face.

The GIF says it all.

10. She doesn't let petty rumors get in her way.

To be fair, she did fraternize with Ashley in a way that was more than friendly, and his sister told his wife and just about everyone else in the state of Georgia. Imagine the dread Scarlett felt when she learned the scandalous rumors on the day of Ashley’s birthday party. If I were her, I wouldn’t have shown my face in public ever again, but I’m no Scarlett O’Hara. She swallowed her pride and marched right into that party (looking quite fabulous, might I add). All eyes were on her and whispers filled the room, but she smiled, wished Ashley a Happy Birthday, and continued on like nothing had happened. Her confidence is truly one to envy.

11. Despite being raped, killing a man, losing her fortune, almost starving to death, losing her parents and her daughter, being widowed (more than once) and getting dumped, she comes out on top.

Frankly my dear, Scarlett O’Hara is one to admire. I can barely keep up with my school work, get enough sleep, and maintain a social life so it’s quite impressive to watch her juggle it all without breaking a sweat. She lived in an era where women weren’t allowed to do half of the things we can today. She broke down all those barriers and became who she wanted to be: a wealthy entrepeneur. A wife. A mother. A proud plantation owner. Even though things didn’t exactly turn out the way she wanted them to in the end, it’s incredible to see how the character of Scarlett evolved throughout the movie. One moment she’s a spoiled southern belle and the next a dedicated woman who learns that there’s more to life than just yourself. Scarlett O’Hara is certainly a force to be reckoned with. As for the rest of us, we have quite some living up to do. After all, tomorrow is another day. Cheers to that!