11 Reasons Why I Want To Be A Hermit

11 Reasons Why I Want To Be A Hermit

Why you should dedicate your life to solitude

13557
11 Reasons Why I Want To Be A Hermit

There are many times in my life when I look at it all and think about how simply life would be as a troglodyte or someone who dedicated their existence to social solitude usually by abandoning all ways of conventional life to live in the woods or in a cave. I think about this frequently, and I've come close to doing it. I've compiled a list of why becoming a hermit would be a good idea, so in case you've been contemplating the same, here are some points to add to your list.

1. You don't have to deal with people EVER again

Now, this is probably the biggest reason why I've come so close to abandoning it all to become a hermit. People aren't my thing. It's an antipathy seeded in a cynical introvert perspective that I've developed over the years. I'm only 19, but if I didn't have to see another person again, I don't think I'd mind. With that being said, there are a lot of people I do enjoy and here and again I'm even prone to leave my dorm in search of social situations. All in all, I find more comfort in forests than crowds of people.

2. You become very self-sufficient

Self-sufficiency is a trait usually praised. Someone who is independent is mature, able, and smart. There's nothing that teaches that trait more than isolation. A hermit has to fend for himself, find food and shelter. He learns skills that are not found in living with groups of people. It's a great skill to stick on a resumé.

3. Living outside is neat

Hermits usually live in forests or caves, somewhere in nature. It's like one big camping trip. If you like forests, like I do, solitude might be the best thing that ever happened to you. From the day I watched Jeremiah Johnson in 8th grade, I knew I wanted to be a mountain man. I want to live in the mountains, drink from the creek, and eat whatever mother nature brings my way. I want the birds and running water to be my music, the wind to be my muse. I want to fall in love with the curves of trees and the way grass feels beneath my feet. I want to end each night by a fire, staring up at the stars. That's my kind of life.

4. You'd be very healthy

There's no bad food out in the wild. It's all meat, plants, and protein. Although I must say I'm a fan of burgers and one A.M. taquitos, I'd sacrifice that for being a hermit. I'd probably feel a lot better, look a lot better too. There's not a better way to get in shape.

5. No more politics

Hermits don't care. Heck, there's no one to talk politics with. Have you ever heard that ignorance is bliss?

6. Also, no money

This might sound like a bad thing but take a step back. You wouldn't have money because you wouldn't need money. Hermits don't need to buy things.

7. You'll never have to worry about looking nice ever again

Imagine a world where you could let your leg and armpit hair grow free. Imagine a world where clothes are optional, where baths are infrequent, where smelling like a trash can doesn't affect anyone but yourself. That's the hermit life. You don't need to look good for anyone.

8. You can go wherever

You're completely free! You can wander here and there, traveling between forests, living in whatever cave you come across. You can travel where you want to, but there's always the risk of running into someone. If you go so far into seclusion then you might be safe.

9. You don't have to apply

This will be the only profession you won't have to interview for. No recommendation letters! Just do it. Right now. You can start today, full pay and benefits (sort of). You don't need experience, you don't need to impress anyone. Your employer is yourself.

10. Taxes.

None of those.

11. Life slows down

Living out in the wild all by yourself tends to slow the world down. It allows you to live completely in the present. You no longer have to worry about the future, there's no planning, and there's certainly no deep reflection on the past. There are no sleepless nights because you're thinking about that embarrassing thing you did the night before. Life slows down enough for you to see the leaves change colors in the fall, for you to see a caterpillar become a butterfly. It reminds you of the little pleasures in life, and it keeps you there, in bliss.