11 Reasons To Be A Server In College

11 Reasons To Be A Server In College

Get more bang for your buck.

1414
11 Reasons To Be A Server In College
CareerCast.com

The life as a college student can be described several ways. One of the most common ways to describe it is being broke ALL THE TIME. It is a time in life when you are starting to have to pay bills, but still want to go out and do things with friends, which costs money. I have found that being a server is by far one of the only jobs worth having while you're in college. It definitely gives you more bang for your buck.

1. You leave every shift with cash.

There is no waiting for a pay check to come every other week. You still get a pay check, but the majority of all your money is going to be in your pocket when you leave work.

2. It is convenient hours for school.

If your classes are during the day, you can work nights and if your classes are in the afternoon and nights, you can work a lunch shift. Weekends are an option as well when serving, which is when you would want to work anyways. That is the busiest time for restaurants. Also, most restaurant managers do really well to arrange your work schedule around your school schedule.

3. It's good money in a short amount of time.

You go in, work your shift, and if you're working at the right place, you'll leave with a good amount of money.

4. You make friends!

Most of the people that I am friends with today, I met at work as a server. Then, I met more people through them, etc. Also, if all your friends are severs as well, you don't really miss out on social things because everyone else is at work too.

5. Discounted food.

Most places give a 50 percent discount to their employees if they worked a shift that day. I can't speak for all places, but you usually get a discount if you didn't work that day as well. It isn't quite 50 percent, but a discount none the less.

6. You can always find a job.

Restaurants are everywhere and I sure don't see them going away anytime soon. People are always leaving jobs, therefore there are always job openings. You just have to go out and find them.

7. Serving makes you humble.

The wage for a server is $2.13 an hour, plus your tips. When you make that little per hour, you have to work for those tips. It is also very hard work. Knowing you truly earned that money makes it so much more worth it.

8. You gain the skill of multi-tasking in a fast paced environment.

During a rush hour, you don't have time to stop and think for very long, if at all. Yes, you're busy and feel like the shift is never going to come to an end. This is a great skill to have throughout life, and being busy isn't a bad thing. It makes the time go by faster, too.

9. You learn to work well with others.

This is also a good skill to have throughout life. Serving teaches you how to work well with your co-workers, as well as working well with customers. Customers are not always the most pleasant people to deal with. Acquiring the patience to deal with rude customers will take you far in life.

10. You don't really need any prior experience.

Everyone has to start somewhere right? It isn't hard to learn the ropes of being a server. Once you've done it, it's like clockwork.

11. Serving is unpredictable.

You never know what could happen each time you walk in for your shift. This keeps you from ever getting bored with your job. Money is also unpredictable. You could leave with $10, or you could leave with $100. You just have to take the good with the bad.

Discounted food and leaving with cash is reason enough for me to want the job. What more could you ask for?