11 Reasons Schools Should Fight For Their Language Programs

Why schools should reconsider cutting language classes.

48
Study.com

I am a French major and my school, like many others, is struggling to keep the language programs alive. Whether it be low enrollment or budget issues, schools around the country are cutting their language classes. The administration at these schools thinks that getting rid of language programs is a fix-all for their problems, however, this is not the case. Instead, schools should be fighting to save and revitalize these programs.

1. Increases marketability.

Believe it or not, the world is a whole lot larger than just English speaking countries. Every job imaginable needs people who speak another language; doctors, lawyers, business, politicians, etc. The most valuable employees right now are those who speak more than one language.

2. Improves English skills.

English is a conglomerate of different languages. Words such as Jenga (Swahili), abandon (French), bog (Irish), etc. are all examples of foreign influence on the English language. When learning another language, the parallels become apparent and our vocabulary increases.

3. Increases graduate school opportunities.

Some of the best graduate schools in the world are not in the United States. Students who speak another language are eligible for twice as many graduate opportunities.

4. Helps people understand diversity.

Speaking a foreign language enables people to understand cultural diversity, which is essential in our globalized world.

5. Improves academic skills.

The complicated process of learning another language develops skills that are highly beneficial in any situation. Memorization, ability to adapt to different skill levels and improved critical thinking skills are just a few of the abilities foreign language majors gain from their degree.

6. Helps people understand other cultures.

Much of the great art, fashion, food, films, science, literature, etc. in our world is from other countries and other languages. Without an understanding of different languages, a book like "Le Petit Prince" would go unread by non-french speakers and artists like Diego Velázquez would only be known in Spanish speaking countries.

7. Develops confidence.

Learning a foreign language is difficult, but with each new achievement it gets a little bit easier, and people are more confident in their abilities.

8. Increases opportunities for study abroad.

Studying abroad is one of the most beneficial experiences a college student can have, but it can be difficult when students only speak their native language. While it is possible to study abroad without speaking a second language, the people who get the most out of their experience speak at least one other language.

9. Increase creativity.

Studying a foreign language helps stimulate creativity. All the foreign language majors will find it someday.

10. Keeps the brain active.

Challenging the brain with learning another language stimulates the brain and slows down cognitive decline.

11. Improves test scores.

Since most English words derive from another language, knowing how to speak a second language has been shown to improve test scores. Who wouldn't want to know that the latin prefix "aper-" comes from the latin word "aperire" which means to open?