11 Reasons To Read "What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding"

At least one of these reasons should convince you.

222

As someone who enjoys reading immensely, I'm a little surprised at myself that it took me this long to write something even remotely close to a book review. I think I was waiting for the perfect book to talk about. Then once I found the perfect book, I had to figure out the perfect way to talk about it without making anyone read this article keel over from boredom.

And as a general rule, book reviews are not always the most fast-paced and exciting things to read. I mean, at that point you should just read the book.

So that is why I am giving you eleven reasons to read "What I was Doing While You Were Breeding," a travel memoir by Kristin Newman, instead of reading a book review.

1. Kristin Newman is really cool

So cool. I am so serious. I had never heard of Kristin Newman before I came across this book a few months ago. Let me tell you a little about Kristin Newman, she is a sitcom writer in Hollywood who wrote for all of our favorite shows like "That 70's Show", "How I Met Your Mother" and "Chuck." That is impressive in itself, but she also traveled a lot...which lets be honest is the coolest thing one can do.

2. It's hilarious (like laugh out loud in public hilarious)

Trying to pick a specific moment to showcase how funny this memoir was is really hard. It was so funny that when I read in public (which was most of the time) I would find myself cracking up out loud and drawing attention from some very confused and probably annoyed bystanders. I guarantee if you read this book, you will do the same.

3. There is a ton of explicit content

Kristin Newman does not hold back. She talks about everything and in all honesty I loved it. It was real and funny and sometimes even cringe-worthy. That's what made it so interesting though, it wasn't placed and polished. The story was told in a way that made you feel like you were sitting down at coffee with Kristin herself.

4. It makes you want to travel, right now

So. Much. Travel. Envy. This book made me want to go to places I had never even thought I would want to go. Added to my list of places I have to see one day now include, Iceland, Argentina and New Zealand.

5. It's a quick read

As our lives get crazier and crazier with everyday it is really hard to find time to sit down and read a book. It's the perfect sized book (291 pages to be exact) to keep you interested for a long time, yet it's not so long that even the idea of starting it is daunting.

6. A true "page turner"

I found myself trying to schedule out my time to read this book. I haven't done that since fifth grade when I had reading logs.

7. Each chapter is a different adventure, literally

Each chapter is headed with what airport she is flying from and to. It starts off the section by already giving a hint to what new and exciting place she will be talking about. With each chapter comes a new set of adventures and stories that will make you feel like you are right there with her through every trip.

8. It's not fiction

There will be times you stop and think, "this cannot have actually happened to someone." Oh, but it did.

9. Did I mention it's hilarious?!

Seriously I cannot express enough how funny this entire book was.

10. It's not all a big, happy, traveling fairytale

Newman talks a lot about love in this book. Everything from long-term boyfriends to second-long vacation romances. There were so many times that I found myself rooting for everything to work out and it just, didn't. Which really reminded me that this was not a work of fiction, it was all about someone's real life and experiences.

That's all OK though because I promise you...

11. There is a happy ending

Read the book to find out.