11 Reasons You Love 'Jane The Virgin'

11 Reasons You Love 'Jane The Virgin'

Or reasons why you should love it.
568

Having recently finished season one of "Jane the Virgin" and then miraculously stumbled upon season two on Hulu, after two weeks of withdrawal, I feel inclined, nay, inspired to share my obsession with you. If you haven’t started it already, you need to watch this show right now. I am a poor college student, and I paid $2 to watch the first episode of the second season that had already expired on Hulu. It’s that good.

My mind has yet to process that I'll run out of episodes again relatively soon, but we don't have to think about that right now. Without further delay, here are 11 reasons why I think you love, or will love, "Jane the Virgin" as much as I do.

**Warning: spoilers**

1. You finally you have the chance to experience a telenovela

If you’re like me, you’ve always wanted to watch those super-intense and dramatic shows on the Spanish channel but have never been able to understand them or keep up. And now you kind of want to learn Spanish just so you can watch more.

2. You can daydream about living in a five-star hotel like the Marbella

Let's be real. You would appreciate living in a five-star hotel like this way more than Raphael and Petra do. Even if you just got to be a waitress with Jane, she got to dress up like a mermaid. I challenge you to give me one reason that is not the coolest thing ever.

3. You will be left on the edge of your seat after every episode

Every. Single. One. I can't even tell you how many times I've thought, I'll just watch one more episode and then start my homework only to find myself an hour later clicking play for another episode.

4. There is actually a plot

Yes, Jane! There is a point! Some shows get so caught up in drama that the storyline falls through. This show still has all of the drama but also has character development, conflict, and resolutions. And it's very funny.

5. You can't get enough of Jane's relationships with her mom and grandma

The dynamic between these three generations is honestly a big part of the reason I keep watching this show. They make me appreciate my mom and grandma way more than a TV show should be allowed to, and have made my mom goal standards reach whole new levels.

6. The love triangles are too complicated not to love

Between Raphael, Michael, Andie, Petra, and Jane; Petra, Milos, Lachlan, Roman, and Aaron; Xiomara, Marco, Rogelio, and Luciana; Rose, Luisa, and Emilio; and Abuela and the priest, once you finally start to catch on, it's too late to turn back.

7. Mateo

Because your heart broke when you first saw his little face.

And when Jane and Raphael finally became parents.

And when this happened:

8. Raphael is just nice to look at ...

9. You kind of just want to see what screwed-up thing Petra does next

From trying to secretly inseminate herself to trap Raphael, to then cheating on him, to using Lachlan to get back at Raphael, to holding a hostage, to defending her homicidal mother, to trying to take over the Marbella, to then successfully inseminating herself to try and trap Raphael again -- man, I'm out of breath. I have a feeling it's only going to get messier from here.

10. The love battle Michael and Raphael are fighting for Jane

No matter what what team you're on, you just want to keep seeing what severely romantic things Michael and Raphael keep doing to win Jane. Perhaps you live vicariously through her a little bit, but that's totally justified.

11. You admire Jane so much and just want her to do well

She kept a baby that she hadn't planned for, kept working and dealing with Raphael's crazy family while she was pregnant, and now she's going to grad school with a small baby. She may not be a miraculous virgin, but she's probably the closest thing to it.

So I believe that I've worked hard enough on this now to warrant watching another episode. And you've worked hard reading this too. Go on, you deserve a reward.