11 Questions Art Students Are Asked Daily

Sometimes our lifestyles are not easy to understand

7426
SummerDreamz

Art students have lifestyles that tend to be a bit different to others. Our sleep schedules, outlooks on appearance, pricing ourselves and more all make us who we are. Art students who have friends outside of the arts are questioned daily on why and how we do the things we do. Many come to us with side projects and interest in our studies. If you are an art student reading this article, these eleven questions are probably familiar with you:

1. Do you have to draw naked people?

Yes, there are classes where you sit for hours to paint and draw naked men and women. Art students find nude art to be as normal as a medical student looking at pictures of the human body in an anatomy class. Nude drawing is an important part of artistic practice to have a better understanding of the human figure.

2. How much do you charge for your work?

I base it off of time and materials. For a big piece like this one, around $500. Most people underprice artwork because they don't realize how much time it takes. Telling someone an immediate price can be overwhelming. However, it's important for artists to stick to what they believe their time is worth!

3. I know you're busy but can you make ____?

I would, but I can not take on any side projects right now. If you ask me again this summer however, I would love to help! A week before Christmas break, just getting by with fall semester finals and a friend decides to ask you to make a gift for his or her mom in the matter of two days. But for the sake of your sanity and need for sleep, it's best to just say NO! But if it's not last minute and you're looking for commission, this is a great question to be asked!

4. Did you even sleep last night?

"Haha! (Eye twitch) No can you tell?" Charcoal smeared on your cheek from falling asleep on the table the night before and Pop Tart crumbs on your pants. The last thing you want to be asked is if you're tired! Long nights in the studio pay off in time, so remember the dark eye bags are worth it!

5. Where is the art building?

You've been going to this University for years! Have you never been in here? Some of my friends have been passing by the art building for years! How can they not know? Well, probably because they don't have any classes in the building. Take that opportunity to show friends around! They will be truly amazed to see the cool exhibitions they were missing out on!

6. Would you pay money for abstract art?

If I had the money in my bank account I would! It's a Gorgia O'Keeffe piece! Those who are not involved in the arts look at abstract art and are confused as to why it is considered art. When explaining abstract art, try comparing it to how people pay money for name brand pieces of clothing. It is all about who created it and the story behind it!

7. How many hours did that take?

I spent about 25 hours in class and 30 hours or so in the studio the past week. Friends usually look at a project and guess around 5 hours or so when in reality, they should multiply that by 15! They realize quickly why art students spend several weekends in the studio catching up! Friends may think we're a bit nuts for spending so much time on our studies, but seeing an end result of hard work makes art students a good kind of crazy.

8. You're allowed to play music in class?!

Of course! My professor plays background music so we can focus! Art professors encourage us to open up our minds in order to fully engage in a project. A studio atmosphere is slightly different than a lecture hall because people are expected to freely walk around, talk aloud and critique their classmates.

9. What do you plan to do with your degree in "art"?

Be a millionaire with my own fancy studio of course! Being an art student, you learn that being a "starving artist" is simply a choice. Just like being a starving math or law student. Education is what you make of it! Be proud, and tell others what you desire to do after college! No matter how big or small your career goals may seem, you need to believe you can, tell others you can and then you will!

10. Are your classmates super weird?

After a few years of being out of high school, the use of the word "weird" to describe groups of people fades. Why? Because everyone is their own kind of weird! Yes, art students tend to wear clothes that aren't in style and color their hair beyond the norm. However, art students learn to respect what is different instead of judge what people do and wear.

11. Why art?

Because it is who I am and what I love! People light up when others ask them about their passion in life! With art being unpredictable, challenging, and time consuming, it's nice to have friends ask what drives you to do it all. Maybe it is because your family tree has history of artists or maybe it was your escape as a child and you wanted to make it a part of who you are. Whatever that special reason is, remember it because it's important to know why you started something that made you into who you are now!