11 Pieces Of Advice Your RM Doesn't Tell You During Freshmen Year

From a college senior to the incoming freshmen, here's some real advice...

1573

With graduation for high school seniors quickly approaching and decisions on where they are going to college are made, it is exciting yet terrifying to think about going to college in just a few short months. Trust me, I've been there.

Now that I have one semester left of college, here are just a few pieces of advice that I have learned along the way that I wish someone told me during my first year.

1. Who you start out college friends with will most likely not be who you end it with.

People drop out, transfer, or even just grow apart. While some people are still close to that one friend that met in their dorm, that's not the reality for everyone, and that's perfectly OK.

2. If you can afford to have a meal plan past freshman year, do it.

Trust me, worrying about what to cook while you have two papers and an exam due the next day is the last thing you need.

3. Don't settle for your living situation.

Whether it be living with someone you don't want to live with or living where you don't want to live, not having a good living space can throw off your whole year.

4. Your high school friend relationships are going to change.

It may not change at first, but as you grow up more and develop strong relationships within your group of college friends, you may notice that you don't have anything in common with those old high school friendships anymore, and that's OK.

5. Call your family.

Seriously, call them. OK maybe this one you get told often, but it so important.

6. Visit your family whenever you can.

Your family misses you more than you may think. It can be easy to get caught up in your new life and your new friends but don't forget that you can always go back home.

7. Never let anyone cause you to feel bad about your major or tell you what to be.

At the end of the day, it is you that is working hard to get the degree, so make sure it is something you want. Don't let anyone else make you feel like it is insignificant either just because you aren't studying a certain thing.

8. Know when to take some time to do what you want and when it is time to study.

There really is a balance between work and play.

9. Even if you don't need the money, get a job.

Whether it comes to spring break or late night take-out, asking your parents for money and giving an explanation for it will get old real quick. Having a job will not only cause you to learn time management with juggling school and other activities, but you will get some extra spending money.

10. Get real-world job experience as soon as you can.

Although your first internship may or may not be paid, it is important to get your foot in the door early on. That way, if you don't like what you are majoring in, you can easily switch. It also looks good on a resume.

11. Stay open to change within yourself, because trust me, it will happen whether you like it or not.

After everything you go through during the next four years, whether good or bad, will shape you into a young adult.

So relax, work hard, and enjoy the next four years. College graduation will be here before you know it.

But don't worry, if you still don't feel ready for the real world by the time graduation hits, there's always graduate school...