11 Lost Treasures Of UMD

11 Lost Treasures Of UMD

Remember when these College Park gems were still around?

486
11 Lost Treasures Of UMD
Krista Stucchio

There are some things about the University of Maryland that are iconic and will never change: students rubbing Testudo's nose, the struggle of finding your way around campus, and ridiculously long lines at all of the bars. However, there is a lot that has changed in College Park. Check out these 11 UMD staples that existed in 2013 but are long gone!

1. Ratsies

Ratsies was the best pizza place to go after a night out on the town. This one-of-a-kind pizza place was torn down in 2015 and has been replaced by a Nando's.

2. Knox boxes

The Knox Boxes were a cheaper off-campus alternative to expensive apartments in Commons. Most of these brick houses were leveled to make way for the new Terrapin Row housing complex.

3. The Dairy in Rossborough Inn

Fear not— the dairy hasn't disappeared completely. While it used to be housed in Rossborough Inn, it has since moved and is now located in Stamp.

4. Yogiberry

Yogiberry was a popular fro-yo joint on Route 1. After the frozen yogurt craze died out, Yogiberry closed down. Now in its place stands a Nando's.

5. Indoor Athletic Fields in Cole

Cole Field House is in the process of being completely redone/renovated and the inside is completely hollowed out. No more indoor soccer fields or spaces for intramural sports here.

6. The Barking Dog

This College Park Bar closed down in 2013 after a supposed change in management that caused the bar's business to go downhill. To take its place, a new arts and entertainment center called MilkBoy ArtHouse is set to open soon.

7. Sculptures near H.J. Patterson

Remember climbing on these sculptures at night on the way to go swimming in the fountain? Those days are gone, as the sculptures are no longer there. They were moved in order to make way for the new education building that's being built on the mall.

8. Easy access to the top of the Math Building

It used to be easy to get on top of the math building— just go to the copy room on the third floor and climb out the window. However, after staff found out that students were using the window to get onto the roof, they nailed it shut.

9. The Comcast Center

Maryland Terrapin basketball used to call the Comcast Center home, but not anymore. The same sports venue still stands, but now it's called the Xfinity Center.

10. The Maryland Book Exchange

This one-stop-shop for textbooks and terp gear was knocked down to make way for a Target Express and a posh new apartment building called the Landmark. With limited options, students must either buy from the super expensive Book Center on campus or search online for books and apparel.

11. Rivalry with Duke

In 2014, UMD left the ACC and joined the Big 10 conference. Long gone are the days of our rivalry with Duke. In its place, we have the beginnings of a rivalry with Penn State.