11 Lessons I Learned From Gilmore Girls

11 Lessons I Learned From Gilmore Girls

Who knew Lorelai and Rory had so much to teach the world?

68
11 Lessons I Learned From Gilmore Girls
Fox 8

Since the young age of ten, I have been completely and totally obsessed with the hit television series 'Gilmore Girls'. Lorelai and Rory have been a huge part of my life and, in a way, these fictional characters helped shape me into the young woman I am today. I owe a lot to these inspiring characters for all that they have taught me about life. Here are my top eleven lessons that the Gilmore Girls have taught me:

1. Wallowing after a break-up is 100% okay and absolutely necessary.

When Rory and Dean broke up for the first time, Lorelai insisted that she take time to wallow. Rory refused and went on with her life trying to ignore how heartbroken she actually was. Of course, pushing it to the side didn't work quite as well as Rory had hoped it would and she knew she had to wallow in order to begin feeling better.

2. Strive to do your very best and follow your dreams, no matter how crazy they may seem.

Lorelai became pregnant with Rory at just sixteen. In her parent's eyes, Lorelai's life was practically over. She proved her parents and their upper-class community wrong by leaving home and raising Rory as a single mother while working her butt off to make something of herself. She went on to manage the Independence Inn, obtained her degree in business, and eventually she opened the Dragonfly Inn.

3. In Omnia Paratus

In other words, be ready for all things that may come your way. Like, for example, jumping off a tower using only an umbrella with the man you love.

4. Don't be too afraid to tell somebody how you feel.

It took Luke Danes EIGHT years to finally tell Lorelai how he felt about her. EIGHT YEARS! Of course, Lorelai felt the same and they made a great couple. If Gilmore Girls taught me anything, it was to not wait that long to tell somebody want to be with them.

5. Not everybody will impressed with you.

Rory Gilmore loved to write and she was great at it, so, naturally, her dream job was to be a journalist. She grew up only ever hearing positive feedback on her writing, until her boyfriend's dad, who just so happened to be one of the most respected men in the newspaper industry, bluntly told her that she didn't have what it took to be a journalist. Rory was crushed at first, even going as far as dropping out of Yale. She eventually realized that there would be people in the world who wouldn't always believe in her, but she believed in herself and that's what matters.

6. Coffee is a wonderful, wonderful beverage.

It's no secret that the Gilmore Girls drink coffee like its going out of style. One of the bits on the show is just how much coffee Lorelai and Rory drink. In the Pilot, the opening scene is Lorelai begging Luke for a cup of coffee. He refuses, knowing she's already had several cups (she admits to having five) that morning, but eventually Luke can't refuse the Lorelai charm and he pours her a cup.

7. Make time for family, even if they drive you insane sometimes.

Lorelai's relationship with her parents has always been complicated. It wasn't until Emily and Richard agreed to pay for Rory's Chilton tuition that they even saw much of each other. In order for Rory to attend Chilton, she and Lorelai had to attend dinner at the Gilmore house every Friday night. We, the viewers, watched as the relationship with the entire family went from awkward and forced to sincere and strong. Sure, disagreements and arguments (mainly between Lorelai and Emily) still happened, but the series finale proved just how far the family had come thanks to seven years worth of Friday Night Dinners.

8. Every birthday is a "big" birthday, so celebrate your day!

Lorelai Gilmore is famous for many things, but Stars Hollow residents will never forget the unique birthday parties she planed for Rory. There's the sixteenth birthday event in season one, where the entire town is piled in Lorelai's house to celebrate and Rory's face is decorated onto a cake. There's also Rory's twenty-first birthday, which Lorelai and Rory had been planning since Rory was a tyke, where the girls would travel to Atlantic City to drink martinis and play 21 while Rory turns twenty-one. Lorelai wasn't the only party-planning Gilmore, though. For her mother's thirty-fifth birthday Rory gathered the entire town and threw a surprise party, which included a pizza larger than life itself.

9. Saturday is the day of pre-rest.

According to ever-so-clever Lorelai Gilmore, Saturday is a day where it is perfectly acceptable to sleep in because it's the day of rest. Of course, when Lorelai mentions this, Rory quickly reminds her that it's actually Sunday that is the day of rest. Lorelai corrects herself by titling Saturday as the day of pre-rest, that way you are prepared to rest again on Sunday. Makes perfect sense, right? I think so.

10. One of the greatest bonds is between a mother and her daughter.

Gilmore Girls is the ultimate mother-daughter show, so this lesson is pretty self-explanatory. I can think of a thousand moments Lorelai and Rory shared that proves just how amazing and strong a mother's relationship with her daughter can be. Their unlimited support for one another, �their honesty and openness, and their respect for each other are just a few qualities Lorelai and Rory's relationship shares, and all of these should help build the foundation for every mother and daughter bond.

11. Anything is possible.

While Gilmore Girls is a show that definitely proves that anything is possible, I'm not referring to any specific moment on the show when I think of this life lesson. Gilmore Girls went off the air nine years ago, back in 2007. However, loyal fans of the show couldn't let Lorelai and Rory go and kept the show alive and popular. We begged Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls, and cast members for years to give the show a reboot. I admit that, after a while, I stopped hoping for new episodes and decided to be thankful for the seven seasons I did get. To my surprise, though, the fans' wishes were granted. After nearly NINE years, it was announced that four ninety-minute movies, titled 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life', will be added to Netflix in late 2016. I'm still in shock that Lorelai and Rory are actually coming back, and this definitely shows me that anything is possible if you want it bad enough.