11 Experiences Every College Student Who Grew Up Poor Can Relate To That Their Rich Friends Can't
popular

Eating ramen for dinner is nothing new.

800

I'll be the first to admit I grew up poor. I got free lunches at school, my family had food stamps, and when I apply for FASFA I get the largest amount they offer. Being poor is something I'm really familiar with, and at this point, I'm not really ashamed of it. Although it's hard to break the economic barrier and have a higher SES than you did growing up, that's exactly what I'm trying to do by going to school.

While at college, I've noticed that every friend I have comes from a better economic situation. And while I wouldn't necessarily consider my friends "rich", there are some struggles they just won't understand.

1. If it wasn't for scholarships and loans, they 100% would not be there.

I pay for everything myself, including my college tuition. I think I've gotten MAYBE a thousand dollars over my three years so far from family members and that was a true gift. If it wasn't for my scholarships and loans, I wouldn't be able to go to school. I just don't have the financial support at home.

2. Everything they own they bought themselves.

I have bought 98% of the things I own ever since I got my first job at sixteen. If I want extra snacks in the house, I buy it. If I want new clothes, I buy it. Occasionally my mom will pay for something for me and I get Christmas presents, both of which I'm really thankful for.

3. They truly CANNOT afford to go out every night.

I'm not being rude, I just really can't afford it...

4. Eating ramen for dinner is nothing new to them.

College kids act like eating ramen is just a ~broke college student~ quirk when in reality it's been many people's daily meal their whole life.

5. They can't just call home and ask for money to be deposited into their bank account whenever they're struggling.

Honestly, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. It just strikes the wrong chord with me. I could ask my family for money to pay for bills and they just simply wouldn't have it, let alone being able to help fund my nights at the bar or ever-growing wardrobe. Refer back to #2 - everything I want, I buy for myself.

6. Every single friend they make comes from a more economically stable home than them.

Like I said, not every friend I've made is rich. Many of them are just middle class. However, when you grow up poor, it's not hard for every friend you make at school to have more money than you.

7. Not working in college is simply not an option.

I took ONE semester of college without working and still to this day regret it. Since then, I've spent every moment, every break working and it hasn't ever crossed my mind to stop.

8. Odds are, they're the first in their family to attend college.

Not always, but in most cases this is true.

9. It gets real old for them to be questioned why they don't have a car, or why the car they have is so crappy.

Yes, I'm 21 and don't have a car. Move along.

10. They don't get to go on cool spring breaks or summer vacations unless they pay for them themselves, and odds are that won't happen.

Count your privilege next time you're dancing on a beach in Fort Laudy.

11. They really are in college for the right reasons - to better themselves.

I'm not here because my parents told me to. I'm not here because I feel like it's expected. I'm here because I want to better myself, and head towards a better life.