11 Clichés You Never Get Tired Of

11 Clichés That Make Us Melt Every Time

Clichés, right? You got to love 'em!

16
11 Clichés That Make Us Melt Every Time

Clichés, right?

Predictable? Yes. Swoonworthy? Definitely.

As both a writer and someone who consumes art on a daily basis, I've certainly written my fair share of clichés—and seen them used in abundance. But while we often criticize their overuse in writing, there are some clichés that win us over. Every. Time.

1. There's only one bed!

You know that moment when two characters walk into a hotel room… and there's only one bed… and they have to share the bed… This cliche is god-tier. It has everything you need for sexual tension: forced proximity, awkward conversation!

2. Fake dating.

media2.giphy.com

It starts off fake, but soon enough, real feelings develop, and it's awkward because those feelings weren't meant to be there in the first place. "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" by Jenny Han tackles this well, and I'd die for this trope.

3. Stuck in an elevator together!

Again, classic. Admittedly, if this happened to me, I'd be terrified for my life, but in fiction, it has provided some great scenes.

4. Enemies to lovers.

This is a tricky one, as it can be toxic if not handled well. But when it is, it gets us hooked. I mean, come on!

5. Second chance romance.

i.pinimg.com

Not as overused as the others, but I'm a sucker for a good I-don't-think-my-feelings-for-you-really-went-away relationship. Posie from "Legacies" does this incredibly well. Plus, it's always nice to see how characters develop as life goes on and how that changes how they approach the relationship.

6. Road trips!

One of my lifelong dreams is to do a massive road trip, so I eat this up all the time. Two strangers/friends/enemies stuck together in a car for several hours navigating the world? I want it.

7. Power couples.

data.whicdn.com

Two people acting soft around each other even though they're capable of murder? Yes, please. Jake and Amy from "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and Bellamy and Clarke from "The 100" are just a few incredible power couples that keep me hooked.

8. I'm so sick and delirious that I'm confessing my feelings for you.

Bonus points if their love interest is taking care of them. This also works if the character is wounded. (It definitely works when the character is wounded.)

9. And they were roommates!

Oh my God, they were roommates. So much potential with this one. It can be super close and intimate while sleepy and cute.

10. Forced to work together.

images.hellogiggles.com

I love when two people are forced to rely on each other for survival. It goes against human nature to put your trust in a complete stranger, so yes, I can't get enough of this.

11. Soulmate identifying marks.

There is so much potential with this one! And I feel like it isn't utilized nearly enough! Imagine innocent phrases appearing on the characters' skin, marking the first words they'll ever hear from their soulmate. (This is even better if it's some ridiculous sentence like "I can't believe Dumbledore dies!" or "Why does this bar of soap look like that famous actor?") Or imagine this: a character constantly searching for the person that has the same scar on the inside of their knee, only to find out that their rival has the same mark. Genius!

Cliches, right? You got to love 'em!