11 Bookish Date Ideas For The Literary Lovers

Bookworms are the best people to date.

531

Trying to date when you're a book nerd is hard. When you've read about the perfect guy (or girl) in a book and you think, "if only they were a real person!" No one can every compare to your favorite book character but a close second can be is someone who is just as much of a book nerd as you. Even if you can't go on those life changing adventures like they do in the books, there are some amazing literary themed date ideas out there to explore.

1. Go to your local bookstore and talk about your favorite books

Bookstores are amazing because they will have all different kinds of books, from the quirky to the serious. You can pull your favorites from the shelves and share its content with your date. Bonus if there is an attached coffee shop!

2. Take a road trip to a literary landmark

Road trips always make for an interesting day. You can just jump in a car, crank some music, and go where the wind takes you. In this case, the wind can take you to a landmark with some literary history behind it. You and your date can learn something new while also having fun. An interesting one in Ohio is the Oak Hill Cottage in Mansfield, Ohio. This house was built in 1847 by John Robinson and featured as "Shane's Castle" in the first novel by Louis Bromfield, "The Green Bay Tree," written in 1924.

3. Figure out a common book you've both read and then watch the movie

If your date is a true book nerd, then they have probably seen most of the popular books turned movies. Some of these include "Harry Potter," "A Wrinkle In Time, "The Hobbit," and many many others. Share your opinions about the similarities and differences between the two. Maybe you will agree that they should have included Dobby the House Elf in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire movie like they did in the book version because, let's be honest, Dobby was the cutest house elf ever.

4. Go to a literary event

Libraries and surrounding communities hold all kinds of events to promote literacy. Head to a poetry reading, book signing, or book festival! These are great to go to because you can explore each others knowledge of book history, themes, and preferences. Every summer in Cleveland, Ohio, there is a Shakespeare Festival where they even perform some of Shakespeare's most famous works!

5. Get creative and recreate a famous drink or meal from your favorite book

The great thing about books and their movies is that they inspire amazing food. One of the most famous drinks to come from a movie is Butterbeer from "Harry Potter." There are many recipes out there to make it into a drink as well as a recipe for ice cream.

There's no going wrong with creating a magical dish together!

6. Search the web for an interesting writing prompt

If you both like to write and want a challenging aspect to your date, search the web for a compelling writing prompt, set a timer for a few minutes, and write away! These can be short or long prompts depending on the theme but it will make for an interesting story to tell.

7. Get dressed up and attend a Murder Mystery Party

Have you ever wanted the satisfaction of solving a mystery like the great Sherlock Holmes? Invite a few friends and you'll have grand ol' time. Working together in a group of people may help lessen the awkwardness of a date but still be a fun adventure that you'll both be able to talk about for years to come.

8. Go out for fancy drinks

Themed bars have become a cool underground secret in many cities. They usually offer special drinks based on the inspired author and an atmosphere that you won't get in a typical bar scene. In Ann Arbor, Michigan, there is an unmarked door that leads underground to a Hemingway themed bar called The Last Word. There is a live jazz band that makes you imagine Ernest Hemingway could be sitting right next to you while you sip your whiskey or martini and eat the most amazing bread puffs in the world.

9. Explore a museum

If you happen to be a history buff as well as a literary nerd, then museums are a great place to go. These make for easy flowing conversations about everything from life and death to the cavemen and Egyptians. You can see just how much your date knows about history, art, and culture.

10. Check out the home of a literary genius

Similar to checking out a literary landmark, there are homes of famous authors turned museums that you can walk through. How amazing would it be to impress your date by taking them to the house of a famous author? The Harriet Beecher Stowe House in Cincinnati, Ohio allows you to look into the life of Harriet Beecher Stowe, slave abolitionist and author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

11. Test your teamwork skills in a Breakout Escape Room

Breakout Escape Rooms are a growing popularity with groups of friends. This is where you are all locked in a room together and you have to use the clues that are hidden around the room to solve the mystery to escape before time runs out.

With many different themed rooms and mysteries to be solved, you can't go wrong!