10 Ways To Relax

10 Ways To Relax

Finding a few minutes in the day for yourself is necessary for your sanity.

30
10  Ways To Relax
Google

It's only been a few weeks into the semester of my sophomore year, and I already feel like I'm drowning in work. While college is 100 times better than high school, I wouldn't say it's any easier. It's nice because you're taking classes that are relevant to your interests, but the workload is definitely not lessened. Running from class to class, to clubs and rehearsals make it extremely difficult to chill out for even ten or fifteen minutes but I've found that making time to relax for a few minutes a day is necessary to my sanity. So, I created this list of ten of my favourite ways to relax in the midst of your chaotic schedule.

1. The Quiet Place

The quiet place project is a short, interactive relaxation exercise. I love this one because of how effective it is even though it only takes up a few minutes of your time. It's also great because you can do it from anywhere if you have a phone or computer available.

2. Reading

I know, I know. Who has time for reading? Other than your for your classes, that is. I totally understand that you probably have zero time to pick up a book, but it doesn't even have to be a book! Read a magazine or a newspaper, but if you have even twenty free minutes, give reading a book a chance. I find that reading is one of the most relaxing activities around. There's nothing like removing yourself from this crazy world for a spell by inserting yourself into another one. So find a book you love, and throw it in your backpack. You never know when you'll be blessed with time to read.

3. Headspace

The app Headspace is awesome. It's a meditation app designed to help you find 10 minutes of every day to reconnect your mind and body. With all of our busy schedules, it's common to feel disjointed and tense, and this app allows you to work through your tension and find your center once again. Bonus: it's free!

4. PixelThoughts

PixelThoughts is my favourite relaxation website. As you can see, you enter a stressful thought (anything at all) in the bar. Once you hit done, a sixty-second relaxation process starts and helps you realize how small your problems are in the grand scheme of things. Of course, the point is not to invalidate your stressors or your feelings, but to allow you to get away for just a minute and take a breath. If you're on a computer, make sure your volume is on- the music is beautiful.

5. Silk

WeaveSilk is for anyone who prefers to de-stress by creating something. It's an interactive drawing tool that lets you create beautiful designs using your mouse. No artistic ability required!

6. Going For A Walk

Going for a walk does require more time, so you might need to save this one for the weekend. Going outside and walking for a bit can be the perfect mind clearing activity, as well as allowing you to take in some Vitamin D!

7. Listening To Music

Of course, I had to include listening to music. This may seem like an obvious one, but it's easy to forget that it can be easy to put your thoughts on hold for a song or two! Throw on some headphones and play your favourite song.

8. Playing Your Instrument

Playing your instrument (if you play an instrument) can be so relaxing. You don't have to practice the piece you're working on. Just play or sing any song you know for fun. Do it with friends! I know that some of the best minutes of my day are the 15 minutes in between class spent in a practice room with my friends singing Adele at the top of our lungs.

9. Power Nap

Power naps are a beautiful thing. If you're comfortable sleeping in public, then go ahead and catch up on your Zzzzs. If you're not so comfortable, maybe hide in the library or if you live on campus, go to your room for twenty minutes or half an hour. Goodnight!

10. Take A Breath

As simple as it sounds, remembering to take a moment to just breathe is so easy to forget. If you only have a minute to spare, close your eyes and breathe! Try to focus on your breathing patterns and create a steady one.

The hustle and bustle that is life can be overwhelming. It's so important to find time for yourself. Hopefully one of these things can help you find that time and use that time effectively. Happy relaxing!