10 Ways to Cope

10 Ways to Cope

Because it's different for everyone

15
10 Ways to Cope
unknown

Life is full of emotion, everyone handles things differently and in their own way. I know for me, as someone who is not a very emotional person it is very intense when we do express emotion in upsetting terms. So in light of this, I've decided to break down, no pun intended, the ways people cope.

1. Crying

Obviously crying is a way of coping with grief or stress. It's ultimately a kind of release of all composure and pain. To many people, crying is the only way they can properly express themselves. Now, if you're like me, someone who hates crying, you may cope like I do for the most part...

2. Out of mind, out of sight

When something becomes upsetting, instead of making a scene, you push it to the side, and like Daniel Powter, "fake a new smile with the coffee you go". Putting your emotions on the back burner keeps you pulled together long enough to get through the day. Then in the comfort of yourself, let completely go. Which some could say is unhealthy, but what do they know?

3. Angry

Some people can't have that emotional "let go" peacefully, some people become furious such things happen, blaming everything and everyone until they end up blaming themselves. And it's at that point that being angry becomes exhausting, and you miss being yourself.

4. The Fighter

Sometimes being angry isn't enough, sometimes you just need to hit something good and hard. And all of us have been there, whether we were just venting or couldn't wait to feel a wall cripple beneath your hand. The pure adrenaline, physical contact and force are enough to release the emotion and blood boiling in your veins. But just remember, violence isn't a very good outlook for emotion, you're more likely to hurt someone or yourself in the process.

5. Talk it out

When something like death or misfortune happens, some people just can't wrap their minds around it and just need to keep talking it out with someone until they can come to terms with what's happened. Now this is good, especially when you have someone willing to spell it out for you, not everyone is lucky enough to have that ear to vent to.

6. "That one time at band camp..."

Along with the talker comes those of us who like to just sit and remember every great moment of the problem prior to the bad stuff. Reminiscing about special moments shared. Untold stories. Teary-eyed smiles.

7. What you talkin bout Willis!

Some just can't believe what has happened, and let their mind shut out the thing, acting as if nothing happened. This is an unconventional coping mechanism, and it can't really be helped, the only one to pull them out of their oblivious nightmare is themselves.

8. Nom Nom Nom

When all goes wrong, food will always come through. To compensate for feeling horrible inside, some gorge themselves to soften the blow. And as much as we all like to believe that whole tub of ice cream is therapeutic, it's not.

9. All by myself!

In the darkest of times, sometimes being around other people is just too hard. So the lone wolf, doing his own thing, strays, giving him time to think. Thinking about it makes being alone the only way to sort it out in your mind.

10. Surrounded

While others stray to be alone in their feelings, those who stay are surrounded by love and compassion. Open arms to fall into are the safest things in the world. The security and love wrapped in those arms are enough to keep you together.

Everyone copes in their own way, but at the end of the day, you do have to come to terms with these things. Letting yourself feel raw, vulnerable emotion can be hard, trust me I know, but it's not nearly as hard as letting yourself turn into stone.