10 Ways to Survive Test Week

10 Ways to Survive Test Week

I know it seems scary, but don't let it frighten you. You can still crush it!

76
10 Ways to Survive Test Week

1. Get plenty of rest.

A good night’s rest can make a huge difference in your daily routine. My roommate and I have ours carefully planned out the night before. We are in the bed every day at 10 pm. It makes it way easier to get up and get ready for class the next morning. And since we aren’t feeling sleepy and groggy, we can easily get lots of studying done in the evenings!

2. Study, but don’t over-do it.

Studying is obviously extremely important. However, too much studying can be a bad thing. I always know when I get to a point where I’m not retaining what I’m studying. So study hard, but take breaks. If I’m reading a long chapter, I try to stop every few pages (it takes me about 20 minutes to read and take notes on two or three pages for some classes), and just clear my mind for a few minutes. Sometimes I listen to a song, check my social media newsfeeds, or just text my family and friends. It makes it much easier to study for longer and I retain so much more this way.

3. Create a study group.

I have very mixed feelings about study groups. I like study groups, but only after I’ve studied independently. However, I know many people who love study groups. It just depends on the individual. But even if you aren’t big on study groups like me, it doesn’t hurt to have a few friends you can always call on if you’re struggling with something.

4. Make notecards.

Notecards are one of my favorite studying mechanisms. They are so easy to make, and you can make them as simple or as complex as you would like. I like color coding mine so that I know where to look in my notes and books if I need to when studying. Writing down definitions and practice questions helps me a lot, so making notecards just gives me a little extra practice and gives me something quick and easy to study for later.

5. Review notes from class.

If you aren’t already reviewing your notes from class daily, you definitely should be. Right after your class is the best time to review, but because of the way my class schedule is set up, it is hard for me to do this. However, I try to look over my notes from each days’ class when I sit down to study every day. It may not seem like it’s doing much at the time, but believe me, it pays off!

6. Re-read chapters that have been assigned.

Reading chapters may seem like pointless homework, but it’s not. Professors assign these for a reason. They may ask something on a test that they didn’t necessarily go over in class, but it was in your assigned reading. Always read the chapters to begin with. That way, you can skim them when you’re studying for a test, but you already know pretty much what it’s talking about. Also, definitely take notes on your reading. It will cut down on the notes you have to take in class and make studying for tests so much easier.

7. Schedule your day appropriately.

I try to prioritize my classes as best as I can. I have a lot of things I need to read throughout the week, so I try to prioritize by what classes I will have the next day and what is going to require more of my attention. For example, it takes much more time and focus to read my anatomy readings, so I try to do those first and save something like macroeconomics for last. Both classes are challenging and deserve equal time spent, but anatomy is much longer than macroeconomics.

8. Color code your notes and planner.

I love to color code everything. Each class and club I am involved with has its own color in my planner. It makes it so easy to see what I need to do each day. I can look and see when all of my tests and homework assignments are due, because I write them all down as soon as I have my syllabus for the semester. I also color code my notes and notecards, just so I can easily find the section they came from in the book. It may seem silly, but it makes my life a whole lot easier.

9. Take advantage of professors’ office hours.

This isn’t something I have done as much this semester as I have in the past. However, always take advantage of your professors’ office hours. And if you can’t make their office hours, talk to them about setting up an appointment. Professors are more than happy to help you out with something. They would much rather help you understand the concepts being taught and see you succeed. Plus, their office hours are set up just for this purpose. Don’t be afraid to go and talk to them.

10. Encourage your friends/roommate to study independently.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer to study independently and so does my roommate. We both like the room to be quiet and free of distraction while studying. We set aside time in the evenings to study and even spend a large part of our weekend studying. We keep each other on track by sitting down and studying at the same time. Sometimes our other friends join us, and they know our rules for studying. As one of my professors always says, “Your peers are your greatest influences!” Use that concept to encourage your roommate and friends to study.

Test week may seem scary at first. However, with a few simple adjustments to your daily routine, you can easily relieve a lot of the stress that comes with test week. The less stressed you are, the more likely you are to ace your tests!