10 Ways You Know You Went to Southeast High

To all my buffs, young and old, this is for you!

2102
facebook

From late starts to goldust and Kristal Cutler -- these are the top 10 ways you know you went to Wichita Southeast High School in Wichita, Kansas!

1. Johnny B. Goode

Deep down Louisiana close to New Orleans
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode

All it takes is those few lyrics to bring back a rush of nostalgia. You know you attended SE if that song just makes you want get up and head to class to beat the main hall traffic (though if you were smart, you'd take A hall). Hearing this song killed the vibe of everyone. Conversations had to end, and class had to start. You could wait for the last verse, but you'd end up playing yourself because main hall was no joke. You knew the song so well, that you knew how late you'd be depending on the different verses. By the end of Freshman year, you probably knew the song word for word.

2. Late Start

Remember waking up late on Wednesday and being able to go back to sleep because it was late start? I don't think anyone remembers exactly why we had it, but we didn't question it. It was a time to sleep in, or find a large group of people and migrate to Quik trip for some coffee, and hot Cheetos.

3. East Vs. Southeast

This is something all SE buffalos, young and old, can relate to. If you attend/attended SE high, you automatically have a never ending beef with the Aces. Till this day I still catch myself throwing shade, Southeast has made me forever petty. Games were the worst, we had to out cheer them, out theme them, and beat them. Then take the beef to twitter, just because. We were always better.

4. Pep Assemblies

SE pep assemblies were LIT. Walking in and hearing our band, seeing the seniors in gold, hearing the chatter as everyone prepares. Looking back I remember just dreading them, but it wasn't until my senior when I realized Southeast was home. The competition between the classes are what we strived for (2015 alums were the best of the best). We took every competition seriously. From the claps, to the screaming, and even the rollercoaster. We went all out for the spirit week. I give kudos to the class of 16' and 17' for their dedication and keeping the spirit and tradition alive.

5. Buffalo Call

I'M A BUFFALO

This is what makes SE buffs, buffs. This is what is great about us. All it takes is one person to start, you can't stop it once it begins. Make sure you place your right hand over your head and slightly cup it to form the buffalo hump. The rest is top secret, but all my buffs know. End strong my friends, and remember I'M A BUFFALO.

6. Goldust

My favorite time of year. To all the creative, and art inspired students, keep on! You are what makes SE great! Your hard work and dedication for the end of the year does not go unnoticed. I, as an audience member, respect and appreciate everything you do for this production. This end of the year special features the talented buffs singing, dancing, acting, their hearts out. Every year it gets better and better. I advise everyone to go and support SE Goldust and every theater production in between.

7. Main Hall

Don't go through main hall during lunch. Don't go through main hall in the morning. Just avoid main hall in general. I don't know how the halls are in the new SE, but if tradition follows, just avoid it. We all tried to squeeze our way through, and part them like the red sea. It isn't worth it.

8. Kristal Cutler

When you hear "SE Band" what's the first thing that pops into your head? That's right, Kristal Cutler. The most LIT band instructor/teacher/director/ president ever. If you have not seen her move, or direct, you are missing out on LIFE. She gives Southeast LIFE. She is a dedicated teacher, and keeps the tradition going. Her and her band students are what make Southeast the best of the best. I encourage you all to go SE games not only to support the athletes, but the band and Cutler. Do it for Cutler.

9. Buffalo Bob

Southeast High's BIGGEST fan. He goes to all the games. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. He is the VIP, the real MVP and every other acronym. We don't deserve him. If you see Buffalo Bob at the game, say hey, cheer with him, get HYPE with him. He's a buffalo just like us. He does the buffalo call, just like us. Here's to Buffalo Bob, the GOAT.

10. Faculty

I wish I had the words to describe the faculty at Southeast High. They are the most caring, and inspiring teachers. They shaped me to be the person I am today. SE alums, I know that you had at least one teacher who shaped you, and who was your biggest motivator. To the current students, take pride, and appreciate the teachers who push and challenge you. Looking back, I had so many teachers in my corner. Thank you to those who put students first, who related to us, and pushed us in the right direction. Thank you for never giving up. You are creating a generation of future leaders. Don't give up. Your hard work and dedication does not go unnoticed. Thank you SE teachers, and everyone in between. YOU are the best of the best!

Fun Fact: Kristie Alley went to Southeast High, it would be great it this reached her!