10 Ways To Save Money Over Spring Break

10 Ways To Save Money Over Spring Break

Here are ten ways to save money over spring break!

232
10 Ways To Save Money Over Spring Break
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/24/636575114310584079-705254117_Vacation-Money.jpg

One of the most stressful parts of attending college can be paying tuition and saving money. In fact, according to the College Board, for the 2017–2018 school year, the price tag of college looked something like this: $34,740 at private colleges, $9,970 for state residents at public colleges, and $25,620 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. Therefore, these costs often leave very little room for spending money. However, here are ten ways to save money over spring break, while still finding a fun way to enjoy the time off before returning to school.

In no particular order…

10. Take the bus or carpool instead of flying! Plane tickets are expensive, and gas for a road trip is cheaper… and road trips could be more fun if you're with friends!

9.Have a camping trip on the road trip to your final destination! Instead of spending money at a hotel every night, spend the night camping at each stop, and explore the town you've stopped in! You'll turn one vacation into several little enjoyable vacations.

8. Budget your money, and only bring the amount of money you plan to spend. Instead of a credit card, try bringing a pre-paid debit card. You can easily forget how much money you're spending by mindlessly swiping, so both cash and pre-paid debit card options are helpful ways to avoid overspending.

7. Bring some of your own food and snacks! If you're going on a road trip, instead of wasting money on food at pit stops or airports, prepare some of your own meals and snacks. You’ll save money and time, and this could be a healthier option as well.

6. Once you've reached your destination, stay with friends and family! Instead of spending money at an expensive hotel, stay with a friend or family member who would be willing to house you for a while.

5. Use your phone to keep track of your expenses. There are many apps like Fudget and Mint that help you budget and keep track of your spending. Having this physical reminder of all your expenses will help prevent unnecessary spending and wasting money.

4. Take advantage of student discounts! Look for places near where you're vacationing that offer discounts and special prices for students. You'd be surprised to find the number of restaurants, movie theaters, and retail stores that take into consideration the need for college students to save money.

3. Book flights early! Though it is possible to find last minute deals on flights, booking flights early can not only get rid of stress, but also be a way to save money.

2. Cut out unnecessary spending…at least while you're on vacation. For the few weeks you are on spring break, it will be beneficial to save money by refraining from spending at Starbucks, cafés, clothing stores, and other hot spots that add up spending costs.

1. And finally… enjoy a staycation! Staying home and exploring places around your hometown with friends is an enjoyable way to make the most of your spring break without breaking your bank.