10 Ways To Restart Your Motivation

10 Ways To Restart Your Motivation

How to get yourself out of a do-nothing slump.

1170
10 Ways To Restart Your Motivation

Recovering from the holidays means that you probably are seeing far too many "new year, new me" posts on Facebook, that your eyes can't even keep up with the rolling. It also means that you're probably having to readjust to going back to work, school, or both. Getting stuck in a slump and not knowing quite where you lost your motivation to accomplish what you need to everyday can be incredibly frustrating so I've made it simple for you.

Here's 10 ways you can restart your motivation whenever you need to:

1. Take a really hot or really cold shower.

Anything that jolts you and makes you feel different, is effective when aiming to find some scrap of motivation to finish (or at least start) that to-do list. Even if it’s your second shower of the day, hopping in for a few minutes will reset your brain and get you in the right mindset to get work done.

2. Walk anywhere.

Up and down a flight of stairs, to the mailbox, to a store down the street, or for an hour’s scenic route through the park. Light exercise will wake your brain up and make you feel like you’ve already accomplished something, and that feeling snowballs into you achieving more than you thought you would before that quick walk. (Jumping jacks works too.)

3. Write it down.

We often get stressed and overwhelmed with every thing we have to get done, in addition to all the things we worry about outside of our to-do lists. I find it very therapeutic and cleansing to write down my worries and problems before I dive headfirst into getting stuff done. It’s sort of like telling your brain it’s fine that those problems exists, and you’ll just have to get to them later because right now you have shit to do.

4. Listen to instrumental music and occupy your brain with a menial activity.

Counting sheep isn’t just for trying to fall asleep. You could also try naming all the colors and textures in the area surrounding you. The idea behind this is setting your brain up to focus on something rather than just letting it drift and check out. Focusing on something as easy as counting prepares you to set your mind to some harder tasks

5. Stand on your head.

Okay, this one is slightly less conventional but I promise it helps. Doing a headstand (or trying to), hanging your head off the side of your bed, or really any other odd-looking activity that forces your head to be lower than the rest of your body gets the blood pumping in your head, waking you up and readying you to work. Just don’t pass out.

6. Get a new perspective.

This isn’t as easy of a fix as taking a five minute shower but taking the time to engage yourself and freshen up the way you view the world is incredible motivating. Read a new book (I recommend "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle), strike up a meaningful conversation with a stranger, watch a documentary, or research online about something you’re genuinely curious about. A new perspective has you watching the world in a different way, and this fresh hope translates easily into motivation.

7. Do something for anyone other than yourself.

Yes, your 20s are supposed to be your selfish years where you look after yourself, but don’t underestimate how good it can feel to pay attention to and help someone that isn’t you. Hold the door open, ask how someone is doing (and mean it), and hug someone who needs it. I promise those feelings of goodwill help you want to do more good things (like check stuff off your to-do list).

8. Get rid of stuff.

Clean out a drawer or donate all of your unworn clothes to a charity shop. Not only is it probably something you already need to do, it clears space in your physical surroundings and your mind. Essentially you are making room for new things, new memories, and new information.

9. Rearrange your space.

This could mean something as simple as rearranging the way things are laid out on your workspace or, if you like to go all-out like me, rearrange all the furniture in your room. Several times. (Is that something other people do for fun or is it just me?) Changing your surroundings, even just a little bit, changes the flow of energy around you. If that’s a little too “out there” for you, just think of it as a fresh perspective from seeing things differently.

10. Don’t overthink it, just start.

After you’ve done all that is necessary for restarting your motivation, you have to actually start the things you need motivation for. Easier said than done, I know. But moving on quickly from these activities to your to-do list doesn’t give you the time to overthink and talk yourself out of being productive. Nike has it right, just do it.