10 Ways To Get Healthy Before Spring Break

Ten ways to get healthy physically and mentally.

188
Star Tribune

With Spring Break almost a month away, I have been very diligent about working out and eating healthy. Especially in college, it can be hard to find time to workout or find healthier options at the cafeteria and grocery store. Here are my best tips on treating your body right and getting fit before Spring Break.

1. Drink water

I know you hear it so much, but drink a lot of water! Sometimes I just forget to carry a water bottle around so I don't drink water for a good two hours! Water cleanses your body, helps your skin, helps you digest food, and so much more. Instead of ordering sugary drinks at a restaurant, just order water! An added bonus is that it saves you money!

2. Walk to class

We're supposed to get at least 30 minutes to an hour of exercise a day right? You can easily complete this task by walking to class.

3. Eat more of a plant-based diet

Instead of cutting out meat, gluten, or dairy - which can have some health benefits but aren't necessary - eat more fruit, veggies, starches, and beans. This past month I have been adding in as much of these super foods to get energy and the good nutrients my body needs. Recently my favorite out of these superfoods includes quinoa, chick peas, oranges, and baby carrots.

4. Cut out sugary drinks

It's okay to have an occasional sugary drink, but try not to make it a daily habit. If you're craving something along these lines, try some watered-down gatorade, flavored water, or a smoothie!

5. Stretch

Stretching helps ease your muscles after a long day of school, work, and activities. It strengthens your muscles and increases flexibility as well. Always stretch before and after a workout!

6. Develop a workout routine

Recently I have been pretty good about going to the gym around four times a week. I fit in a quick 40 minutes to an hour workout filled with cardio, abs, and strength training. I can't stress enough to do workouts that you enjoy and feel good about doing. Don't force yourself to lift when you would rather go on a hike or run. Do activities that make you happy and feel good.

7. Go outside

Being healthy is also about doing what makes you healthy and feel good. Even in the winter months, try to go outside and get some vitamin D. Your skin, hair, and nails will also be thrilled.

8. Relax

Always give your body time to rest. It's not good for your body to do an intense workout everyday!

9. YouTube workout videos

When you need a quick workout for specific parts of your body, check YouTube! Some of my favorite workout videos are from Rebecca Louise.

10. Eat healthier snacks

Some of my favorite substitutes for when I'm craving salty food is popcorn, nuts, rice, beans, and pita chips. When I'm craving sweets, I eat toast with peanut butter, bananas, honey, fruit, and raisins instead.