10 Reasons Disney World Will Always Make Me Feel Like A Kid

It truly is the happiest place on Earth.

69
Unsplash

Throughout my childhood, Walt Disney World has been a common vacation spot for my family. Every nook and cranny within the park has been embedded in my brain while every twist and turn from each ride has been memorized. However, my heart still swells with excitement each time we drive through the entrance gate and catch a quick glimpse at the towering Walt Disney World archway. Here are some ways that Disney will always bring me back to my childhood and remind me that I am a kid at heart.

Mickey Mouse Themed Treats

Payton Brown

Typically, I wouldn't chow down on sweets as I might back in my younger years, but when it comes to Mickey-shaped treats at Disney... I can't resist. Between the Mickey-shaped ice cream to the Mickey-shaped waffles, I can never get enough of this mouse. The marshmallow treats, orange-flavored macarons, candy apples, and churros all remind me of a time in my childhood where Kid's Cuisine was considered to be a gourmet meal. So, excuse me while I stuff my face with a Mickey pretzel and reminisce on a time where I enjoyed Fruit by the Foot.

Pin TradingĀ 

Pin Trading

upload.wikimedia.org

Remember collecting baseball cards or charms for your bracelet or, in my case, Silly Bands? Pin collecting reminds me of both my old Webkinz collection and of my favorite Disney characters (Remy from Ratatouille). It's such an adventure running around all four parks looking for special edition pins and trading with cast members for those super-duper, cool "Cast Member Only" pins. Before you feel embarrassed for asking your Photo-Pass photographer to trade pins, keep in mind that it's totally normal and A LOT of cool adults are into pin collecting. Including me.

Costumed Character Performers

Payton Brown

Back in 2009, seeing characters at Disney World was the equivalent of seeing Lady Gaga in the streets for me. It's safe to say that this is still true in 2019. These characters have been in my life for as long as I have been able to put a VHS tape in a VCR (and truly longer than that). Seeing them in person reminds me of that giddy feeling I had as an 8-year-old and of my never-ending love for animated characters. So, if you see me freaking out over meeting Remy and Emile in the Magic Kingdom, just look the other way.

Rides in Fantasyland

Peter Pan's Flight

upload.wikimedia.org

Fantasyland is the center for all classic Disney rides. From Peter Pan's Flight to It's A Small World, there's no way you can escape that small feeling of nostalgia in the back of your mind. Being in the atmosphere makes you feel like you've step foot into your favorite 20th century Disney film. It is the epitome of growing up vacationing in Disney World. While Splash and Space Mountain might make my stomach drop, the aesthetically pleasing rides on the streets of Fantasyland always bring a small smile to my face.

The Muppet Attractions in Hollywood Studios

Muppet

upload.wikimedia.org

I think we can all agree on having Kermit and Ms. Piggy around throughout the years. Whether seeing them through The Muppets movie or the T.V. show, we all have memories of these iconic characters. In Hollywood Studios, there is an entire section dedicated to these characters along with a restaurant to follow (R.I.P. Pizza Planet though). MuppetVision 3D is a ride to make you want to dive back into your early Muppet phase and purchase a stuffed animal of your favorite character. I remember walking out of the ride wanting to find an Animal to take home with me while simultaneously wanting a box set of Muppet compilations. This section isn't just nostalgic for those in my generation, but also for those in my mom's generation. It's an all-around TBT fest for everyone.

Character Themed Restaurants

Be Our Guest

upload.wikimedia.org

One of my earliest memories in Disney World is eating at the Crystal Palace and getting to meet all of the Winnie the Pooh characters. Being able to experience this time and time again is something that always takes me back. Having your dinner themed around meeting specific movie characters and eating better-than-food-service food is more than enough to get me excited. We can't forget about the over-the-top desserts served. While they're not Mickey-shaped, they're still delectable. Try the grey stuff, it's delicious.

Coca-Cola Samples in Epcot

Club Cool

live.staticflickr.com

If you've ever been to the World of Coke museum in Atlanta, GA, this exhibit is somewhat of a mini version. It's a store dedicated to Coke products and even those from around the globe. Coke has always been my preference for soda and having an entire store filled with different flavors from different nations is fantastic. At my age, it's a perfect excuse to use for wandering off of your anti-soda diet. Not to mention, it's free so that somewhat means unlimited soda. My family and I always crowd around the machines and wait for someone to try the Beverly soda. It's probably the worst drink ever, so it's more than entertaining to watch other individuals unknowingly taste it.

The Long, Long Lines

Disney

Disney

https://sites.psu.edu/nikkicasasantoedesign100/2012/12/07/design-of-services-in-disney/

You're probably wondering why lines might be on this list. It is truly because Disney World lines remind me of a not-so-great trait of an adolescent me. My impatience. Standing in lines is HORRIBLE, but it really does make me feel like I'm a young one again because of my inability to stand still and be quiet as I wait. Disney World, please allow me to get more than three FastPasses for each park. Thanks.

Pandora in Animal Kingdom

Pandora

live.staticflickr.com

While Pandora is new and has only been in the Animal Kingdom for the past year or so, Avatar is a movie that shined throughout my generation's childhood. I'm sure we all saw this flick in 3D at the movies. Seeing Pandora in person is an absolute blast from the past. It is such a surreal setting and seeing it LITERALLY brought tears to my eyes. The rides are just as amazing, but I specifically favor the Flight of Passage. The Flight of Passage ride might be a 2 hour-long wait, but it emerges you into the Avatar movie and makes you feel as though you've turned into a giant, blue creature.

The Infamous Magic Kingdom Fireworks Show

Magic Kingdom

Imagine reliving every entire Disney movie under an hour in the most spectacular way. Except you don't have to imagine it because every single night in Magic Kingdom, you can see it live. I can only vaguely describe the feeling you might obtain when watching this firework show, but it's almost like you're stepping a foot through the door of your past. It is truly the most heart-wrenching performance you might ever see in your lifetime. Not to mention, you get to see Tinker Bell fly and that, in itself, is brilliant.

Walt Disney World is a place for dreams to come true and true happiness to appear in everyone. My age will never determine how old I am at heart and Disney reminds me of this time and time again. No matter if I'm old and grey, Disney will still make me feel free and youthful.