10 Valuable Pieces Of Career Advice I've Heard This Semester

You may have all of the qualifications in the world, but if you recite a monotone list of your past work experiences, you'll just seem boring.

211
news.virginia.edu

If nothing else, starting my academic career in the McIntire School of Commerce has given me a bottomless well of new article material. I am genuinely grateful for the resources that McIntire has given me so far this year, and one of them is its career center. Yes, the Comm School has its own career services office to assist students with resume reviews, interview prep, and how to inject just the right amount of goodwill into a professional email.

Already this semester, I've compiled many worthwhile pieces of career advice that apply to students seeking jobs of all kinds, which I'll share below.

1. Beyond just career fairs, always bring resumes to informal receptions, info sessions, and job interviews

You never know when you might make a valuable connection with someone that could lead to a job. Even if you think there's no way the situation could result in you passing over your resume, it's better to be prepared with one, so you can discuss it in detail and make sure that you don't forget to bring up your "prestigious" and "life-changing" summer internship from last year.

2. Even if you're not sure you want to work for the company, go to the first round interview.

Practicing interviews with a Career Services employee is a great resource to have, but nothing can truly prepare you for the real thing. If you're fortunate enough to receive an interview, even if it's for a company you're hesitant about, it's great practice for future job endeavors to prepare and go do the interview if you can. You may even end up liking the company more than you initially predicted.

3. If a company sends you interview prep materials, go through them VERY thoroughly, and more than once, to make sure you don't miss anything.

This should be pretty self-explanatory, but make sure you don't focus in on certain details of the prep materials and ignore potentially important details. Treat the interview like a test and really study for it as much as you can, so you'll be able to answer any technical or specific company questions that come your way.

4. Send a thank-you email within 24 hours of speaking with recruiters or employers

Keeping thank-you emails within this time slot demonstrates interest and keeps you in a potential contact's professional loop. Beyond 24 hours, they might have forgotten about you and your response may not lead to much. Of course, it's always helpful to network via email, but if you're looking to keep up a correspondence with a specific person based on an in-person conversation, respond as soon as possible.

5. Create multiple resumes, depending on the specifications and requirements for each job you apply to

Using this tactic will make sure that you're presenting the most relevant version of yourself and your past achievements to any job you're applying for. If you're applying for a marketing position, highlight your collaborative spirit and creativity. If you want to go into an English field, highlight your writing experience. You get the picture. Despite what you may think, there are multiple possible ways you can present yourself to employers.

6. Your summer internship or first post-grad job doesn't have to be your dream job

As I've heard over and over again this year, your first job out of college likely won't be the one you retire from. It's important to align with the values and overall mission of any company you work for, but when evaluating job opportunities and offers, consider the bigger picture of the valuable experience you could gain from this job, rather than judging whether it fits perfectly into your "five-year plan."

7. It's harder to be likable on video vs. in person, so be conscious of your screen presence during video interviews

Since so much corporate communication occurs virtually these days, this is especially important. Even though a recruiter may be sitting in front of a screen hundreds of miles away, when you're doing a video interview, they can see you just as well as if you were right in front of them. This is not the time to assume that you can get away with excessively twirling your hair or looking at the floor. Instead, make an extra effort to be as genuine and likable as possible, so that your personality can translate through the screen.

8. Don't be afraid to show off your personality when speaking with recruiters; they're hiring people, not robots

At almost every informational event or panel I've attended this year, those in charge have stressed the notion that companies hire people and personalities that they want to work with. You may have all of the qualifications in the world, but if you recite a rehearsed, monotone list of your past work experience during a career fair, you'll just seem boring. It's ok to make a (appropriate) joke or find common ground with the recruiter; in fact, letting your true self shine through in company interactions will probably help you make a positive impression on a potential employer.

9. Even if the company seems casual and recruiters are wearing jeans, dress in business professional attire for the interview

It can seem confusing when dressing for an interview with a company whose recruiters wore t-shirts and jeans to the career fair you just attended, but remember that they all have the job already. The old adages "dress for the job you want" and "dress for success" are relevant for any interview you go on. Even if the company genuinely doesn't care about how you're dressed during the interview, air on the side of caution and always dress sharply unless they explicitly say not to.

10. Networking is crucial for success in any field, but especially in marketing

As I've begun investigating the world of marketing internships, I've heard one word echoed over and over again: networking. This word can seem scary to those just beginning their job search, and admittedly it's hard to know exactly how and when to network. But for fields like marketing that require good people skills, collaboration, and persuasion, word travels quickly and maintaining quality connections could get you a step closer to your dream job.

There are many official career services resources available to help students, but offhand comments from professors or alums can often be just as helpful. Whether you're a first year planning to be a camp counselor again next summer, or a fourth year who just applied for graduation, keep your ears open for valuable tidbits of career advice all around Grounds.