10 Underrated Horror Films To Watch During The Halloween Season

They're not as famous, but they're just as scary!

74
PINHUMOR

The lights are turned off. You get secure behind your pillow and blanket to shield yourself from the terror about to unfold on your screen. There are many critically acclaimed horror films such as “The Exorcist”, the “Halloween” franchise, “Insidious” and “Paranormal Activity”. There are many horror films not as famous, but they're just as scary. Just because some horror films aren’t in the limelight does not mean that they aren’t terrifying. These underrated horror films listed below are sure to make their viewers cower in terror, as well as giving horror film audiences new material to be frightened by.

1. “Crimson Peak” (2015).

“Crimson Peak” set in the 1800s, follows the story of a female writer who marries a mysterious baronet. They relocate to his new home in England, which is a decaying Gothic castle. Tensions rise when supernatural beings reach out to the new wife, and guide her to discovering her new husband's gruesome secret. Rotten Tomatoes praises the film stating, "Crimson Peak offers an engaging – albeit somewhat slight – diversion driven by a delightfully creepy atmosphere and director Guillermo del Toro's brilliant knack for unforgettable visuals."

Watch the trailer here.

2. “Dressed to Kill” (1980).

Directed by the Master of Macabre Brian DePalma, comes the Cult Classic “Dressed to Kill.” When a young woman witnesses a blonde female violently kill someone with a switch blade, she becomes the next prey to the knife wielding woman. A psychiatrist becomes involved and realizes it’s his most dangerous patient that is committing the crimes. The film includes over-the-top slasher moments, as well as crime and investigation themes. The film is now dated, but the thrilling twist, magnetic performances and gory moments are worth the watch.

Watch the trailer here.

3. “The Descent” (2005).

When a group of women explore uncharted caves on an expedition, they become trapped when they lose their way. They begin to panic as they notice creatures lingering in the shadows watching their every move, ready to attack. Bloody Disgusting, listed the film third in their list of the 'Top 20 Horror Films of the Decade’, saying "One of the scariest films of this or any decade... Ultimately, The Descent is the purest kind of horror film – ruthless, unforgiving, showing no mercy."

Watch the trailer here.

4. “Mommie Dearest” (1981).

This film was not released as a horror film, but “Mommie Dearest” is bone chilling. It is also based upon true events. The film follows the story of a young girl and her brother as they face horrible accounts of abuse at the hands of their adoptive mother, 1940’s actress Joan Crawford. Many scenes are hard to watch due to the disturbing trauma and peril the innocent children face, but the performances are petrifying. The fact that it is based upon true events will keep the viewer glued to the screen.

Watch the trailer here.

5. “House at the End of the Street” (2012).

Jennifer Lawrence stars in this heart pounding thriller in one of her earliest roles. The plot centers around a teenage girl who is new to the neighborhood. She becomes attracted to a handsome man who lives on her street, but is startled to discover that his sister committed a double murder in his home, and is no where to be found. The film is action packed, and filled with unsettling moments. Jump scares and an uncovered murder mystery make the film a never ending thrill.

Watch the trailer here.

6. “The Devils Rejects” (2005).

One of Rob Zombie's brutal horror films, “The Devils Rejects” is perturbing. A murderous clown and the Firefly family are on the run after committing 75 gruesome homicides. When police grow stronger in their pursuit against the family, so do the killings. The film blends dark humor with horror brilliantly. Film columnist Richard Roeper wrote, “Successful at its goal to be the sickest, the most twisted, the most deranged movie at that point of the year”.

Watch the trailer here.

7. “Sinister 2” (2015).

Although a sequel to the critically acclaimed “Sinister”,that doesn’t mean the film doesn’t hold its own. A single mother grows frantic when an evil entity latches on to her two sons, and forces them to commit a series of horrendous acts. This film has some of the most original and mind boggling death scenes in the horror genre. The film follows in the steps of the original film with “found footage” scenes, but the sequel amplifies the terror.

Watch the trailer here.

8. “Dark Skies” (2013).

“Dark Skies” is a science fiction horror film about a family that unwillingly become the host to extraterrestrial beings. The family beings to fall apart when strange happenings occur in their home. These include thousands of birds flying into their home, and household objects being stacked upon each other that should be physically impossible. Slowly, each family member becomes tormented by the beings. The family begins to research, and discover a terrifying link between them and what they presume to be aliens.

Watch the trailer here.

9. “You’re Next” (2011).

“You’re Next” is not your typical home invasion horror film. At a family gathering, a family's home is taken over by a group of assailants in animal masks. Little do they know, the family is experienced in self defense, and begin a bloody fight for survival against the intruders. Entertainment Weekly reviewed the film stating, “The film includes gory demises and sick laughs.” The fight scenes are intricate and show stopping, and the “break in” scene will leave viewers checking their locks after watching the film.

Watch the trailer here.

10. “The Gallows” (2015).

In the 1990s, a school play goes wrong when a prop malfunctions, killing one of the students. When the same high school decides to put on the forbidden school play years later, history begins to repeat itself. A group of teenagers break into the school to destroy the play’s set, but are stopped in their tracks when they face a vengeful ghost who's haunts become personal. The documentary style filming will make viewers feel claustrophobic and disoriented. The films antagonist is a unique, malevolent ghost that will leave even the biggest horror fans feeling terrorized.

Watch the trailer here.