10 Thoughts To Have When You Look In The Mirror

Dig deeper.

641
http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com/files/2015/08/09/6357467997462910321224050930_girl-looking-at-mirror1.jpg

For many, the mirror is an enemy— a cruel reminder of everything about you that isn’t flawless. Because we live in a world where others are constantly judging our appearance, it’s hard not to give ourselves the same treatment. In a perfect world, looking in the mirror wouldn’t be full of “my hair is too this” or “my legs are too that.” Ideally, looking in the mirror would be quite a different experience.

Things You Would Think When You Looked In The Mirror, In A Perfect World:

1. When I look into a mirror, everything is flipped. I wonder what the science is behind that.

2. I am so lucky to have eyes that function well enough for me to be able to see my reflection right now.

3. I have more freckles than before! I wonder why some people get freckles and others don’t.

4. Which of my physical traits came from my mom’s side, and which came from my dad’s?

5. If I was a writer, how would I describe my appearance to paint a perfect picture for readers?

6. Wow, my hair has grown this much already! Is there anything that affects how fast your hair grows?

7. What kind of privilege do I receive because of the way I look?

8. Is there anyone in the world that looks just like me?

9. What about my physical appearance displays my gender? Which of these are natural traits and which are things society taught me I should do?

10. How does my appearance look different from when I was younger? How will it continue to change?

My hope is that one day, the mirror will be less about critiquing ourselves and more about expanding our minds. The mirror, and our image of ourselves opens up so many questions. Instead of using our brain power to tear ourselves down, let’s use it to learn and grow.