10 Thoughts You Have Before Studying Abroad

With A Month Left Before Studying Abroad, I know Your Mind Is Flooding With Thoughts!

40
Scott Stulberg

Before leaving to study abroad so many thoughts can run through your head. Trying to take care of your life in your home country and planning for a future in another, can be a tedious, stressful, and exciting process! As you prepare for your voyage you can't help but to think about all of the adventure that awaits, but before you can get there.......... a whole lot of planning needs to be put into motion. Here are 10 thoughts your definitely have before studying abroad for a semester!

10. Waiting For Your Acceptance Letter, Visa approval, and Course Information Like............

Finding a country to study abroad in........ Easy! Getting accepted into a program or applying to a university abroad on your own, well......... not so much! So much planning goes into study abroad, between deadlines, information, papers, transfer credit forms, and so much other stuff, your bound to think a couple of times "Do I really want to do this?" You will get it all done and everything works out in the end just keep your eyes on the prize and see what the world can offer you!

9. I'm Not Going to Know Anyone While I am Abroad!

Whether you are studying abroad with a group/program hosted by your university or searched for your own university to study at on your own, it can be a terrifying thought at first! It ranks closely to the first day of college, but throw in being in a different country and possibly people speaking a variety of languages! So whether you know some people along your study abroad journey or you're exploring alone, make new friends! Find university FB pages for your study group, search to see if anyone else going to be studying abroad at the same school and feel free to explore out of your comfort zone! This experience is an opportunity that not all receive so be adventurous. Be young. See the beauty the world can offer you!

8. Missing your Family and Friends Like.............

As excited as you are planning your upcoming adventure it's hard not to think about missing your friends, family, or even missing out on events! Preparing to leave what you knew as home for a semester or longer is hard, although most people think you will really forget about them while your gone!

7. How Am I Suppose to Fit my Clothes in This Suitcase!?

To be honest I can barely go on vacation for a week and not have my luggage weigh under the limit... (Sad, but true!)

So Packing for a trip in a country that maybe know for fashion is going to be a huge struggle!! But tips I have heard are "you never wear everything you pack" and "You want to save room for souvenirs."

Tips: If you are packing for a semester abroad find or buy clothing that is versatile!

If you hesitate about bringing an item of clothing or a pair of shoes...... DO NOT TAKE THEM! You will literally try to justify brining them and you know you wont even look at them all semester!

Buy while your there!! I mean who can resist shopping in a different country!? So instead of bringing every item of clothing you love pack a few and some essentials, then treat yourself a little while abroad. Who doesn't love a great shopping trip!?

6. Packing American Food..... Just In Case

This is for my picky eaters!

Traveling to a different country may sound scary for some people, but being a picky eater adds complication to a trip! Trying to find something to eat on a menu is like finding a needle in a hay stack!

So if you're a planner (Like myself) I definitely want to bring some familiar snacks or even comfort food on the days I am missing home or just want a reminder of what it feels like!

5. Wanting to go to a Bunch of Events/Festivals........

While being abroad you get to experience a variety of cultural events, festival and markets! So while studying abroad take advantage of making the effort to explore and visit nearby countries!

But you still don't have friends yet, so you hesitate!

4. Excited To Try A Lot of New Food!!!

From Sweet's to traditional dishes there is a whole world of new food, flavors, and delicious treats to enjoy and they are all in the palm of your hand! Now don't go too overboard, but indulge yourself in the culture and by culture I mean delicious food!

3. Let the Countdown Begin!!!

The month before you leave to study abroad is the most exciting and scary 30 days of the process! You don't know if you are over prepared or under? If you are excited or nervous or if you are just ready to get your adventure started! These days go by fast and your moments with your friends and family will become memories soon, but you can't wait to start your adventure, and you will catch up with them when you get back!

2. I Hope I Saved Enough Money....

Anyone who has thought about or has studied abroad before knows it can add up and it will fast! But that's what planning is all about! You just hope all of those hours at your part time job was worth the experience!

1. You Are About to Have THE Time of Your Life!!!!

This is self explanatory!!

P.S.

Of Course You Will Make Friends...... But Even Better, You Will Make Friends For A Life Time!