10 Thoughts I Had During Recruitment

10 Thoughts I Had During Recruitment

From good, to bad, to Greek!

104
10 Thoughts I Had During Recruitment

Rush week; something many college girls are familiar with. A week of nonstop "girl flirting" with sorority girls, hoping that you fit in with some of them and especially hoping that you find your home at the end of the week. It is a stressful, exciting time like nothing I had ever experienced before.

1. "What if I don't get a bid?"

Getting a bid is not a guarantee. As houses cut you, you can't help but consider the real possibility that you may not receive a bid from any houses at the end of the week. Along with this thought comes "What do I do if all of my friends get bids and I'm the only one not in a house?" which isn't the end of the world but isn't the ideal outcome.

2. "Why didn't they like me?"

Everyone tells you that houses aren't cutting you because they don't like who you are, they're cutting you because you don't fit in with their house. As many times as you will be reminded of this, it will still hurt when a house doesn't ask you back. I was upset when the house I ranked at the bottom of my list didn't call me back, and I'm not completely sure why. I guess it's just a human thing where we want people to like us.

3. "Wow, that went really well!"

Some houses you just click with. It feels natural talking to them and you really hope they call you back the next day.

4. "I'm not good enough for ____."

Everyone preaches that your sorority doesn't define you, and nobody's opinion of you actually matters.

5. "I'm never doing this again."

Rush week was stressful and emotional, and you had to wake up early and girl flirt every day. I do recommend that girls rush because it's totally worth it, but it was definitely a tiring process.

6. "I don't want people to know how upset I am."

It may happen that you get dropped from your top house, and you might be kinda upset about it. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to bring attention to the fact that I'm upset. I'd prefer to cry in private and move on. The tough part about living in the dorm is that you don't have any privacy no matter where you go.

7. "It's all going to be okay."

Whether you end up in a sorority or as an independent, life will go on!

8. "What even are my values?"

Going through a "values-based recruitment" really made me question what my values were, what I wanted to do with my life in the future and what I want in my life right now.

9. *Compares me to everyone else.*

It's hard when the girls around you are being asked back to six houses and your only being asked to two.

10. "Yay! I'm home."

Bid day is so exciting. You run to your house and everyone is so excited to see you. It's an indescribable feeling.