10 Thoughts Every Future Teacher Has In College

It is a struggle learning to become a teacher, but it is worth it!

4706
123rf

They always say that teaching is a work of heart, which is very true and powerful. Being a teacher is more than just coloring and doing crafts all day. When one decides to be a teacher, they also take on the role of a nurse, guidance counselor, security guard, and an "away from home parent". Before taking on those roles, you have to sit through 4 years of college to learn how to be the proper nurse, guidance counselor, and security guard. With that being said, here are 10 thoughts that all future teachers have at least once over the course of their college years:

1. "What if I am a horrible teacher?" Don't worry, you won't be, that is why you are going to college and learning!

2. "Will the hard work every pay off?" After sitting down for hours upon hours completing sample lesson plans and mini lesson plans you start to wonder if all of that talent you just put into hours of work will pay off in the future and get you prepared.

3. " I need more coffee." No matter what major you decide on in college, coffee is a lifesaver for! Teachers just need more caffeine because they have to plan and prepare for the next day and keep up with the little ones!

4. " I am so not ready for this." This is when you start to realize that you are responsible for teaching children how to read, write, spell, do math and many other things. Don't sweat it, you will be just fine!

5. "How do you count by base ten?" It has probably been awhile since you dealt with base ten blocks, but now you have to reteach yourself so that you can teach your future class.

6. "What is all this new vocabulary?!" After completing your general courses you will start having classes that actually pertain to your subject area of teaching and you will learn endless vocabulary words that sound foreign!

7. "How am I supposed to teach someone to read?" Chances are you probably don't remember how you were taught to read so now you are wondering how you are going to teach lots of children how to read.

8. "I am doing this for the outcome, not the income!" As future teachers, we find ourselves explaining to people a lot that we are in it for the outcome and not the income, meaning that we are in it to see the light bulb of children go off and not in it for the paycheck.

9. "How am I going to support myself?" We all know that teachers are not millionaires so now is when we start to wonder how we are going to support ourselves and needs and wants in life.

10. "I can't wait to have my own classroom!" Even though we find ourselves worrying about becoming teachers, we always have this exciting thought in the back of our minds!

There you have it, the ten thoughts that future teachers find going through their heads! Some of these may stress us out or make us question our major, but in the end we remember that we all can't wait to have our own classroom!