10 Thoughts All Broadway Fans Have As They Stand On A Broadway Stage

"This is going to be my view someday"

79

Getting to stand on a Broadway stage is a big thing for Broadway fans. Many fans get a chance of a lifetime to go backstage at their favorite show. Whether it's your first time going backstage, or your fifth, the excitement and magic never seems to disappear. Here are some thoughts Broadway fans have as they are standing on the stage taking the view in.

1. "I'm really here!"

Nothing beats the excitement of getting to go Backstage as a Broadway fan. There's always that moment when you first walk backstage when you realize that you're really there! It's always exciting getting to see behind the scenes and every theater nerd has that "this is happening" moment when they first set foot backstage.

Onstage at Newsies at the Nederlander Theater

2. "It's so tight back here!"

I can't even begin to explain how tight backstage wings at Broadway theaters are. You would think that there is so much room because there's so many set pieces, but it's actually extremely crammed backstage. When I went backstage at Newsies at the Nederlander Theater, I was shocked to see how tight it was. You could barely fit two people next to each other backstage! When I went backstage at the Marquis Theater for On Your Feet, I thought it was going to be roomier since the Marquis is a more modern theater. To my surprise, even though it was definitely more spacious than the Nederlander, the backstage wings were still tight.

3. "Did you just say there's set pieces hanging above my HEAD?!"

Since the wings are so tight, they have to improve storage with the room that they have. So often, set pieces are hung in the air held up by wires. This FREAKED me out the very first time I went backstage. It was at Newsies and LaVon Fisher Wilson (who was playing Medda Larkin at the time) was telling me all about the backstage secrets as we walked through. She said "some pieces are hanging, like the 'King of New York' tables which are hanging above our heads right now." I looked up and there was an entire long table, and chairs, suspended in the air above my head. In a similar situation, a huge dinner table and chairs were also suspended above head backstage at the Lunt Fontanne Theater for Finding Neverland. As well as an entire kitchen set suspended in the air backstage at On Your Feet (I'm sensing a suspending table theme here). This still baffles me to this day. Is no one afraid that those cables could snap and fall!?! I guess when you're running off of show adrenaline, you don't think about it.

View from the stage right wing at the Lunt Fontanne Theater for Finding Neverland

4. "This is where the magic happens!"

As you're standing on the stage, it's crazy to think that you're standing on the exact stage of the show that you just saw from the audience. You think about all of the scenes that take place in the exact spot where you're standing and sort of geek out a bit. I had such a big moment with this when I was backstage at Finding Neverland. We were standing onstage as the stage manager, Genevieve, was talking. She said "if you look down you'll see where the sections come up for the wind tunnel". I looked down and I was standing on a section that helps create the wind tunnel at the end of the show, which is my favorite part of the show. I definitely had an "omg" moment in my mind.

5. "So THAT'S what the mezzanine looks like!"

This one may not be so common, because as broke high school and college students, many Broadway fans have no choice but to sit in the mezzanine because that's where all the student tickets are. This was my very first thought from the very first time I stepped onstage at the Marquis Theater at On Your Feet. I never sit in the mezzanine for the show because then I'm not able to conga (and getting to conga is the best). I also never sat close enough to be able to look up and see the mezzanine from my seat. So, the first time I stepped foot on the stage, I looked out and actually said that line.

Onstage at the Marquis Theater after On Your Feet

6. "I can't believe I'm on the same stage that _____ performed on!"

I was able to be with my best friend the day she first set foot on a Broadway stage. Last year, she had the honor of playing Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady. As soon as she set for onstage at the Marquis Theater, she was in shock. She kept saying that she couldn't believe that she was standing on the same stage where Julie Andrews (who was the Original Broadway Cast Eliza) once stood over 10 years ago for her show Victor/Victoria. It's crazy to think about all of the people who have once stood on the very same stage as you're standing on in the moment.

7. "How do they do it?"

Once you see around backstage, you wonder how all of the behind the scenes people do it every night. I've gotten the chance to talk to a stage manager and a dresser while backstage and have heard about the craziness that goes on. The stage manager who is frantically making sure everyone is running smoothly backstage and calling the show. Getting to see all of the quick change booths puts into perspective how crazy it could be when a lot of the ensemble has quick changes at the same time. I could just imagine everyone squeezed in there frantically trying to get ready for the next scene while two dressers are helping eight people, and a hair person is making sure everyone's wigs are still on, styled nicely. The backstage choreography is sometimes more interesting than the onstage choreography! Getting to see just how little space the backstage crew has to work with truly makes you wonder how they do it. They must be superheros.

8. "This theater is stunning"

I love Broadway Theaters. They are all so gorgeous. The view just gets even more extraordinary when you get to see the whole view from the stage. You can look out into the entire house and just take it in. The Lunt Fontanne Theater is my favorite theater. It is absolutely beautiful. I have had that thought from the first time I set foot into it. When I walked onto that stage, the second I saw the view of the whole theater, I actually teared up. It was so stunning and the view was breathtaking.

Onstage at the Lunt Fontanne Theater for Finding Neverland

9. *breaks into song/choreography*

This might be the biggest one that no one can even try to deny. The only right thing to do when you step onstage is to quietly sing your favorite show stopping solo number or break out into choreography. No matter what stage I step on, I always sing "What You Mean To Me" from Finding Neverland. An empty stage and a ghost light (which is put onstage every night after the show to light the empty stage) is the scene for that song. So naturally every time I see a ghost light, I have to sing.

10. "This is going to be my view someday"

We all have the dream. Whether it's our career dream, or it's a secret "if I could do anything in life, it would be this" dream (like me), getting to stand on a Broadway stage is a dream come true. It motivates you to work harder. There's nothing like standing center stage, looking out to into a Broadway theater, telling yourself that this is hopefully going to be your view one day.

The view from onstage at the Marquis Theater