10 Things Your Server Wants You To Know

10 Things Your Server Wants You To Know

Your phone number is NOT a tip!

44
10 Things Your Server Wants You To Know
Keri Russell In Motion

As a waitress, I have seen my fair share of good and bad customers and sometimes I wish I could tell those customers how I feel. Working with so many people at one time is frustrating and scary, but we try our best to give our customers the best time possible. I know I’m not the only server to feel this way, so here are some things that your server desperately wants you to be aware of.

1. 20% is not a courtesy… it’s a requirement

I sincerely do not understand people who don’t tip or leave less than 20%. Unless your server was a complete dumbass, there is no need to stiff him. Waiters and Waitresses make about $3-$5 an hour, so that extra 20% may just be feeding the kids that night.

2. Please be patient

On days when it is extra busy in the restaurant, we really need our customers to be patient. We understand that you are hungry and may be in a bit of a time-crunch, but we are doing the best we can.

3. We get yelled at when you send food back

When you send food back, even if it wasn’t even our mistake, we usually get yelled at by the entire kitchen staff. They hate remaking an order and often use us as a buffer between the kitchen and the table.

4. We’re hungry

We work during prime meal times, so yes, we’re hungry and that burger you just ordered and consumed made our mouths water.

5. Our feet hurt

Being on your feet for hours at a time can really be a pain… literally. When I finally get the chance to get a pedicure I feel so bad for the person taking care of me because my feet are honestly disgusting.

6. We want you to be happy

Except for a select few assholes, most of us actually do want our customers to be happy and leave feeling satisfied, so we’re doing the best we can.

7. Newbies are TERRIFIED

Being a new waiter or waitress feels like someone threw you into the lion’s den wearing a steak-suit. Please be nice to the newbies, even if they mess up a few times, they’re learning.

8. Do not snap at us

Snapping or waving your hand to get our attention when we’re taking care of another table is the rudest thing in the entire world. We will be with you as soon as possible, please stop.

9. We can only do so much

On our busiest days we can be taking care of multiple tables at a time, and we want each person to have a good experience, but we are only one person. Let us do our jobs.

10. Be kind

If you are kind to us, most likely we will respond positively, so if you’re just a nice person we’ll make sure you have the best time possible.