10 Things You Miss When You Quit Sports

10 Things You Miss When You Quit Sports

Without your team, your life flips upside down.

20
10 Things You Miss When You Quit Sports
Brittany Osteen

You have spent years dedicated to your favorite sport(s). You have built a family of team members that have been by your side for practice, workouts, and competitions. Now you are moving on into a new era in your life and that team isn't a part of it. As much as you hold back your tears, you will never forget the best part of being in sports.

1. Being in shape has a new meaning

There was once a time when you could run miles upon miles. Now, going up the stairs seems like a challenge. Then you have to cough to cover up the fact that you can’t breathe. It’s okay though because if you take the steps two at a time you can consider them lunges and your daily workout!

2. Finding time to workout seems impossible

Now that you don’t have your two hours or more of practices every day, it seems like that time has just disappeared. It becomes a daily routine of classes, work and thinking about how you don’t have time to go to the gym.

3. You miss having everyday workout buddies because they are family

When you finally do have time to work out, all your friends are busy so you don’t have a gym buddy. When you play a sport, you get used to working out with at least 10 other people. That means every rep is counted loud and proud, every move somehow incorporates teamwork, and you work harder to keep up and push each other.

4. Win together and lose together

You win some and you lose some, but your team becomes your family. Winning becomes so much better with your team and losing isn’t so bad. Losing just becomes another piece of the family dynamic.

5. It was the best way to get rid of the bad day

The best part about after school practice was venting. Whether it was just one of those days or a bad grade on a test, you have a group of friends who will listen to everything that upset you. On top of that, you are working out which helps release anger and happy endorphins!

6. The realization that you probably will never be as good as you were

It wasn’t long after I stopped playing sports that I realized I would never be that good again. It’s different for everyone and completely possible to be better than you were. For me, though, I will never be able to run as fast as I used to. I still run, but I am a different runner now.

7. Traveling with your team

Long bus rides become your favorite memories with your team. How could you ever forget the bus ride where it broke down and you had to wait an hour for a new bus at 1 am. It quickly became a huge sing-a-long and ghost story night. Everyone has their stories of their favorite travels.

8. The cheers and the songs

They were all just so catchy! Every team, regardless of which sport, has their chants, cheers, and songs. It’s what makes games and meets over the top. Even now, they sometimes pop into your head and you can’t help but miss it.

9. Finally reaching personal goals

Winning as a team is great, but reaching your personal goals is important too. Every best time or personal record puts you on cloud 9. It becomes a fact about yourself that you never really forget.

10. Pushing yourself because you love your team

You work as hard as you can and really do your best. Your teammates are counting on you and cheering you on every step of the way. It creates a supportive mindset to thrive in the competitive environment. You will never be able to thank your team and yourself enough.