10 Things You Know to be True If You Grew Up In "HuCo"

There's no place like home.

51
Huron Daily Tribune

1. Fields

I asked three friends from back home what the first thing they thought of was when Huron County was mentioned, and all three replied with one simple word... "fields." I have to admit, fields are one of the first things that comes to my mind as well. Fields are a huge part of hundreds of family farmers in Huron County, but they're also a great place for a party every once in a while during the summer. (wink, wink)

2. Parties

That brings us to our next feature ...parties. Not your average "frat parties," no we "go big or we go home." If we're in the middle of a field, we're surrounded by a hundred of our closest friends from all over the county, if there's five feet of snow outside you can field us hidden in someone's pull barn. As long as there's beer and some college kids home from school, HuCo is ready for a good time.

3. The Water

We're in the tip of the thumb, called Huron County because we're surrounded by Lake Huron. The water is bound to play a huge role in our lives. Growing up on the water meant all summer consisted of constant beach days. Jumping off the break wall holding hands with your friends was a fun summer past time in order to get that cool picture for Instagram. Kayaking out to Turnip Rock was also a must, not just for out-of-towners but a yearly adventure for the locals as well. Every Fourth of July was spent in Caseville or Port Austin. The girls fish, the guys fish, and everyone loves a great day on the boat.

4. We know everyone

Everyone knows everyone. Everyone knows everything. It's something, I personally, used to loathe, but being placed in an area where I knew absolutely no one made me appreciate the comfort I had in knowing I'd most likely see someone I knew at the stop light next to me, or I'd see a teacher, my best friend's mom, and my softball coach in one trip to Walmart.

5. Sports

Sports played a huge part in everyone's life. Growing up in an area where there aren't five malls within ten miles, we all had to find something to do! Plus, a little school rivalry never hurt anyone. Friday nights you found yourself at the football field, whether you were on the grass or in the stands. As the winter hit, Friday nights were spent in the gym, fighting for the front row, cheering the basketball team on, and if you were a die hard team fan, Saturday mornings were spent at the wrestling meets cheering.

6. Driving around

Driving around was a fun past time, and nothing could beat it. For real, when nothing else was going on, driving around town, belting out lyrics with your best friends was a great time. It made for some great memories.

7. Drive Your Tractor to School Day

Speaking of drive...yes, "Drive Your Tractor to School Day" does exist in Huron County. Yes, the schools that participate in it love it. Yes, they're proud of it. No, nothing you say will offend them because you see in HuCo we're brought up to be proud of where we're from. It made us the decent people that we are today.

8. The Expo Center

As children, the ice rink is where we spent all of our weekends from Friday nights to Sunday afternoons. You didn't have to ask your friends what they were doing on the weekends during the winter, because you already knew the plan. Oh and we can't forget the pizza. It was so worth the eight minute wait.

9. Wind Mills

It's another thing that comes to mind when we think of home. What started off as a little project that we all liked to drive by near Elkton has spread county-wide. Some love it, others hate it, but it definitely reminds most of HuCo.

10. Home

While to some, Huron County might just be the location of their summer house that they visit a few times during the summer, to others, it is home. A great home at that. It's where we had the privilege to grow up, and it shaped us into the caring, polite, compassionate, respectful people that we are today. No matter how long you've been gone, you can come back to HuCo and it still feels like home.