10 Things I Wish I Saw On Social Media Instead Of The Reality I See

How I wish the powers and tools of Social Media can be used for good and optimism, instead of filling our world with negativity.

11
oursocialtimes.com

People complain about the world of Social Media and how "bad" it is for society. But you know what, I couldn't disagree more.

I love Social Media. Love it. I have a Facebook, an Instagram account, I tweet from time to time, I'll occasionally send the goofy picture via those crazy snapchat filters, and I even have a professional LinkedIn Account. I grew up in the days of MySpace and the ever so popular AIM Messenger. Social Media allows me to keep in touch with my family and friends from miles away. It's such an amazing tool.

So why do so many people hate social media?

Like so many other things in the world, Social Media can be used for good and it can be used for evil. Unfortunately, I feel as if I see too much evil on my Social Media pages than I would like to admit. Sometimes I find myself throwing my phone down in frustration after sifting through the negativity on Facebook. I wish I could change how we view the posts that are deemed worthy, acceptable, and enjoyable to put on Social Media.

Here are 10 things I wish I saw on Social Media instead of the reality that I see every day.

1.) Instead of seeing people intentionally bringing others down, negative phrases made to hurt someone, mean names being spewed so quickly, or a bully hiding behind the safety of remaining anonymous behind a computer screen..... I want to see kindness, compliments, and congratulations of successes and triumphant moments. I want to see inspirational messages to keep others going, rather than tear them down. I want to see comments shared back and forth by complete strangers that would make me smile.

2.) Instead of seeing political turmoil, the hundreds of memes that spew false information about the presidential candidates or the issues being faced by our country, and the harsh comments about the possibilities this election year may bring...I want to see solutions, ideas on how we can help our country thrive. How can we, Americans, help our country succeed. How can we as Americans turn our frustrations and negativity into positive action that can lead to the solutions we need. No matter the results of the election of 2016, we as Americans still have the power to promote change. Martin Luther King Jr. knew what he was doing when he knew the power of nonviolent protests. Let's stop spewing negativity, and start finding solutions.

3.) Instead of seeing body shaming posts made my men or women, instead of seeing people comment about how ugly or large someone else looks... I want to see men and women being proud of their bodies. I want to see people post more pictures of themselves without the fear of what others might comment back. I want to see the beauty in everyone because you know what, everyone is beautiful and should be damn proud of it.

4) Instead of seeing families posting about a disagreement they may be having with other family members, or instead of seeing a family feud grow out of control due to mistaken words and tones, I want to see families staying in touch. I want to see family members going out of their way to ask someone how they are doing. I want to see pictures of a family get together, a birthday party, a reunion, a wedding. I want to see those photos of family members smiling and laughing together. I want to see more people receive the posts I am so fortunate to receive from my father on my Facebook wall, just dropping a message by to say that he loves and misses me. I want to see families be families.

5.) Instead of seeing discrimination and hatred of a group of people based on their colors, their sexual orientation, their ethnicity, their gender, their life choices.... I want to see acceptance. Not everyone is going to agree with all your beliefs. But is it fair for your beliefs to interfere with someone else' happiness or choices? No. So accept one another for who they are and where they came from. The world needs a whole lot more acceptance and a lot less hate.

6.) Instead of seeing someone rejoice in the pain of someones' failures or poking fun at a problem someone may be facing in their life that they turned to Social Media to vent... I want to see people take the time to talk to those who need in most. Yes, I am not one to post my problems on Social Media, but I am blessed enough with many people who I can talk to in my life if I do have a problem. Not everyone is as lucky as I am. So I want to see people help someone who may be looking for a possible solution or even a reminder that behind every storm is a rainbow.

7.) Instead of hearing about people being self conscious to post about a success or a great moment in your life because they fear of being "bragging" or seeming conceited.... I want to see all of those posts! Let me hear your successes and the things you are proud of! Tell me that my cousin has graduated from high school with highest honors, celebrate the excitement of announcing a new baby joining a family, enjoy the excitement of celebrating a new career opportunity, share the love of being recently engaged, married, or starting a new relationship.. Show me what you are excited for, what your are proud of, and what makes you happy.

8.) Instead of posts declaring their disappointment and hatred for America, instead of posting how our country is a disaster, I want to see posts celebrating our achievements and even our history. I want to see posts celebrating the men and women that serve our country in order to ensure our freedoms. I want others to acknowledge how lucky we are to be living in the United States of America. I want people to turn to the achievements and the successes in laws passed and victories gained.

9.) Instead of posts slamming current issues, instead of posts analyzing why bad things happen, instead of seeing religious beliefs interfere with giving condolences to the families of those affected by the shooting at Pulse Nightclub, instead of us ignoring a terrorist incident in Baghdad or Istanbul because those cities are are extremely different than life in the United States... I want to see sympathy. I want to see people ban together and gives prayers and thoughts to families affected by tragedies. We are all Humans. We all share this beautiful Earth together. Let's stand against the hate and share love for one another.

10.) Instead of posts discussing and bringing attention to the negativity of what others have done, I want posts rejoicing in the kindness and positivity of others. I want to see posts of people trying to support their friends through a tragic time. I want to see a neighbor go out of their way to create a GoFundMe page to raise money for a sick friend. I want to see a community rally together and collect clothes and furniture for a family who just lost their home in a fire. I want to see all the ice bucket challenges in the world. I want to see more polar plunge videos. I just want to see kindness.