10 Things I Wish I knew Before Moving To Long Beach

Tips to help make your transition as smooth as possible.

2173
LoudSpeaker

Okay so I went from the Desert of California to the serenity of San Dimas, but Long Beach is a different lifestyle. Although I wish I could say it was all fun as I rode down PCH with my windows rolled down, and hair blowing to the rhythm of the wind there was also reality right around the corner. Here are a few things that I wish I knew before I moved to the beautiful city of Long Beach.

1. "Totes!"

Because not all grocery stores give free bags. I remember the first time that I went grocery shopping I was amazed at the fact that they were selling me bags to carry my groceries in. I was already buying groceries, why must I buy bags? Luckily, after complaining about this phenomenon to my new friend he surprised me with a few totes which I still use today.

2. Street Sweeping

I lived in a few other cities before, but street sweeping was new to me. Perhaps it was the fact that I lived in gated communities and our parking was assigned, but waking up to a $50 ticket was no fun. These street sweeping tickets felt like a bill almost, because they were coming in monthly and there was nothing I could do about it except remember to park my car on the opposite side. Watch out for signs on where you can and can't park.

3.Cal State "Long Beach"

Although, Cal State Long Beach has the name Beach in it, the beach is really not that close. Huntington Beach, the sporty beach--oh well! people who do not live in Long Beach don't know that. You live in Long Beach, therefore you live at the beach.

4. Scooters, Bikes--Skateboards

You might want to invest in one of these if you are attending CSULB. The campus is huge and unless you are willing to catch the shuttle or walk 30 minutes just to get to class you should look into one of these.

5. There Are No A/C's or "Swamp Coolers."

Okay so don't freak out when you look at apartments and see that there are no A/C's. Do invest in a fan or simply get used to the luxury of great weather in which all you have to do on a hot day is open the window.

6.First Friday's in Uptown Long Beach.

Are you ready for this ? Free stuff. That is all I have to say. Free books, clothes—music and food trucks. Follow them on Instagram at firstfridayslbfor more info.

7.The Pike Structure

Looking for parking that validates? Park at the structure right next to the Theater.

8.Eventbrite

Okay this app is a must even if you do not live in Long Beach. This app is amazing because it let's you in on the events in your area. Do not struggle by asking yourself "What should I do today?"

9.Long Sleeves

Always have a sweater/long sleeve around. The weather changes within hours so be prepared to have a sweater either around your waist or in your car.

10.Hang In There!

The worst part of moving Is moving! Once you meet people you will not want to leave ! Long Beach is amazing. "Go Beach!"