10 Things I Want My Little Brother To Know

Because you're not so little anymore.

39
Abby Morelli

Even though you're officially taller than me now, I still see you as that little 6-year-old boy with bleach-blonde hair and round glasses. Unfortunately, it's time to face the facts: you're growing up. No longer are you that adorable but devilish little toddler, but rather, a smart, funny teenager who can school me in just about every sport there is (just remember that I've taught you all you know). Growing up can be tough but it can also be really fun and exciting. Suddenly, you have all of these new things to worry about, like peer pressure, self-consciousness and the "awkward stage." But you also have a ton of things to look forward to. Lucky for you, you have a big sister whose been through all of that before. Here are 10 things I think you should know.

1. Be nice.

Nobody likes a bully. Mom and Dad have raised you to be respectful and kind, so show that off. Be friendly, and make sure no one ever gets left out. Think of how you would feel if you were in "that kid's" position. Treat everyone you know with the same courtesy kind-heartedness with which you would want to be treated.

2. Do what you want to do.

Within reason, of course. Just because you're friends aren't doing something, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. Be a leader, do what you love and don't be ashamed of it.

3. Hangout with Mom and Dad.

I know that you're about to get really busy with schoolwork, sports and friends - but always make time for our parents. They're the ones who have looked out for you all of these years and they are more important than you'll ever know. They want to see you have fun but they really do love spending time with you. As you're getting older, so are they.

4. Try new things.

Even if you think you'll hate it, try something new; it could open up a world of opportunity. Be open to new ideas and respect other people's likes and dislikes, even if they differ from your own.

5. Get involved.

After graduating high school, you're not going to regret the B you got in your sophomore English class. You're going to regret missing out, and you're going to miss all of the the things you were a part of. Go to football games, join clubs, participate in the play. Do and go to as much as you can, because it'll be over before you know it.

6. Don't listen to them.

To the coaches who say you're not good enough, to the teachers who say you're not smart enough, to the kids who say you're not cool enough - Don't listen. You are more than enough of all of those things. Believing them will only hurt you rather than help you. So, instead of abiding by their misconceptions, prove them wrong.

7. Live in the moment.

Your childhood and adolescence are going go by so fast and the worst possible thing that could happen is for you not to remember most of it. Take note of all of the little things as you experience them. Realize that your seemingly mundane day-to-day life will soon change forever, so be conscious of everything. Live in the moment and remember the good times.

8. Get to know your teachers

If you want your teachers to respect you, you have to respect them. Be polite. Ask them for help. Form a relationship with them. Not only will it come in handy when you need some extra credit or a recommendation letter but you'll learn things that they wouldn't have been able to teach you in class.

9. Find great friends.

I trust your judgment, but just remember that your friends will have a huge impact on your experiences and memories. Choose people who you can have fun with but also can trust with absolutely anything. Make sure they love you for who you are and don't ever let them (or anyone else for that matter), change you.

10. Be happy.

I know that being a teenager comes with mood swings, but try to be happy. Do things that make you happy. Don't sweat the small stuff. When you look back, you want to remember these years fondly - and that doesn't happen when you have a bad attitude.