10 Things I'll Miss From Utica, New York

Goodbye home away from home.

209
Wikimedia

Utica, New York, will always hold a special place in my heart. It is where I spent my first year of college and got my first real taste of freedom. I am going to miss so many things I came across in Utica. Most importantly, I'll miss the people I met but I will also miss some great places and things. Here are some of them:

1. Tuesday Nights at Pizza Boys.

Pizza Boys is a little pizza shop with a bar that was small at the beginning of the my time in Utica but was revamped by the end to be a larger addition to this "little shop." Tuesdays were special at Pizza Boys because it was dollar slice night! You could find half of Utica College there hanging out that night. Tuesday nights were always a good time at Pizza Boys.

2. Everything Wings.

I am not really sure how to describe what these are other than by saying they are the best wings ever! Cooked in an orangish sauce that, well, contains "everything" these are for sure a Utica special. I will for sure be making a trip back to Utica for the everything wings alone!

3. Chicken Riggies.

Chicken Riggies are another food that is native to Utica. They are a mix of peppers, onions, mushrooms, chicken, cheese and pasta in an orange sauce. This dish is similar to chicken cacciatore but better.

4. Half Moon Cookie.

Yes, I know what you're all thinking, you can get these just about anywhere, but, Utica's Holland Farm's has the best ones yet. At home, a half moon cookie is icing and a bottom that is a flat cookie most places. In Utica, a half moon cookie really is more of a cake than a cookie it's frosting with big fat cakey bottom.

5. Nicky Doodles.

Nicky Doodles ice cream was one of the best things about Utica. Although there was always a line, it was worth the wait. A Nicky Doodles trip was always an experience.

6. Sammy's Breakfast.

Sammy's in New Hartford (a town bordering Utica) had the best breakfast. Their home fries were the absolute best and Utica brewed coffee was just the icing on the cake! I could never turn down this great breakfast.

7. Bullet Nights.

Almost every Utica College student loves going to the Bullet! Of course, there is the famous "bullet blackout" we all love to gossip about. I am going to miss these fun nights dancing with my friends on sorority/fraternity nights at the Bullet.

8. Bennu.

Bennu was one of my favorite spots for lunch. They had unreal wraps, chips and salads. No matter what craving I was having, I could always find something to cure it at Bennu.

9. Delmonico's.

Delmonico's won my heart while I was in Utica. After a trip there, with my aunt and cousin who came to visit me, I was obsessed. Every time a family member came to visit, this Italian steakhouse was always the destination I requested.

10. The Aud.

The Aud is one of the nicest ice hockey rinks I have ever come in contact with. While at Utica I was lucky enough to skate on this masterpiece and have it as a nice second home away from home. The crazy suspension architecture along with no obstructed view seating and insane video boards for replays made this place extremely cool!