10 Things You Know To Be True Growing Up With Older Brothers

132
Pintrest

Growing up with older brothers was probably either a girl's best or worst nightmare. There was always constant bickering, instigating and fighting over who's going to get the last slice of pizza, and of course, it was always the oldest because, "he was born first". But, despite all that and all the times you begged for a sister or anything to make living with brothers a little bit easier, but now, you wouldn't trade them for the world.

1. They gave you a better perspective on guys.

If you grew up as an only child, or in a house full of girls, the only person you really had to look at to understand the dysfuctional male gender was your father. Growing up with brothers helps you realize how soft guys can actually be, no matter who they are or what they're doing, they'll always have a soft spot for a girl who means a lot to them. Brothers made it a little easier when it came to picking and choosing guys, because you knew how to deal with them a little more than the only children or with a house full of girls. Brothers made you a little more prepared for the grossness of a guy, the messy room, the "passing gas" and the other little gross things that we are used to because we've dealt with it basically our whole lives.

2. They taught us how to be tuff.

Brothers are the type of guys who see their sister casually laying on a lawn chair in the backyard and suddenly have the urge to chuck a water balloon at them. Growing up with brothers meant when you guys argued, 10/10 times it got physical and you would end up usually running and crying to your parents, with your dad came in yelling, "Don't hit your sister like that!" You would either be crying in pain, or laughing behind your dad's leg while your brother got yelled at, and then he wouldn't fight with you anymore, until tomorrow, when the next argument happened. Having physical fights with your sibling turned out to be nothing but an advantage for you because, unlike other siblings ,you learned how to take and throw a punch probably by your 4th birthday and you wouldn't be as tuff as you now without them.

3. They brought out your inner tomboy.

As a baby, it was easy for our moms to dress us up in girly dresses without our input, but once you came to an age where you could dress yourself, you couldn't help but find yourself in your brothers hand-me-downs. A Pokemon t-shirt, maybe a white tank top, no matter what it was, I'm sure you have plenty of pictures of you looking like a boy with long hair while you stood next to your brothers. You were constantly out in the yard trying to play football or riding skateboards off ramps. You became a natural athlete so young and you have your brothers to thank for it.

4. They had their handfuls of opinions on the guys you liked.

Having older brothers was like growing up with more than one dad. Not only did your boyfriend need to go through the approval of you father, but it was probably more important for them to get the approval of your brothers. They always told you their honest opinion, whether it was, "He seems cool," or "He seems a little off to me", and once in awhile we even got the, "That kid deserves to get hit." Your brothers opinion on a guy was probably the deciding factor on whether or not you stayed with him. So boys, rule #1, ALWAYS impress the brothers.

5. You were basically their stylist.

Have you ever walked into a store and thought to yourself, "Wow, if I was a guy, I'd have the best style." Basically, with being a sister, you are constantly giving your brothers fashion tips and basically picking out their clothes as if you were dressing for yourself.

6. Your first crush was probably one of your brother's best friends.

You're lying to yourself if you didn't make every excuse in the world not be around your brothers when his friends were over. You were constantly popping your head into his room asking him every question you could think of. Your brothers would probably say shut up or get out and their friends would reply, "Hey man, don't be so mean." And in that moment, boom, first crush. If your brothers and their friends were outside, you were outside. If your brothers and their friends were in the pool, you were in the pool. You're lying if you said you never followed your brother and his friends around. and you're probably lying if you didn't have at least a little crush on your brother's friends.

7. They were very brutally honest.

If you walked out of your room and you didn't look good, your brothers would not hesitate to tell you. It didn't affect you when people called you ugly at school or joked around with you, because with brothers, you've heard all the insults in the book, but hey, at least they're honest.

8. You basically grew up with six older brothers, because according to their friends, you were their little sister too.

Your brother had his few close friends, and within a matter of years, you created a bond so close with them that you then saw them as another older brother. They called you out when they saw you posted Snapchats of yourself at a party, saying, "You can't party, you're too young." You'd just laugh at them and shake your head.

You love them just as much as you love your brothers. They have become the people in your life that you depend on and call if you ever need anything.

9. Your brother's girlfriend was the sister you never had.

Just like a boyfriend wants to impress the brother, the girlfriend always wants to get the sister's approval. It eventually gets to a point where you start asking her for advice on guys because it's a lot easier to talk to her than your brother. When they broke up, you probably missed her more than your brother, and you probably still talk to her more than your brother. Brother's girlfriends are appreciated a lot more than you think.

10. No matter how much they say they hate you, they'll never mean it.

Your brothers could say they hate you 10 times a day, but no matter what, they will never leave your side. You guys have spent every day of your lives together, and maybe other siblings may be closer, but either way you and your brother hold a bond that can't be broken, they are your forever protector and you should thank them every day for putting up with your weird, annoying, obnoxious personality for their whole lives.

Brothers: can't live with em', cant live with out em'