10 Things You've (Probably) Got Wrong About Only Children

"Don't you wish you had a sibling?"

449
Hannah Echols

Growing up being an only child definitely had its pros and cons. I never had to fight for my parents’ attention, but I also never had a sibling to goof around with. The most common reaction I got after telling someone I was an only child was “Really? I would never have guessed. You definitely don’t act like one!”

Even though most people would consider that a compliment, it was frustrating constantly being stereotyped with "only child syndrome." Since only children are seemingly rare, especially in the south, here are 10 things to know about an only child:

1. We are not all spoiled brats

ARROGANTVDRAG RACE GIF BY RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE

Contrary to popular belief, we are not constantly showered with gifts and waited on hand and foot. While there might be a correlation in this department, there is definitely not a causation!

2. We do know how to share

This is one of the biggest misconceptions about only children. I often find people with multiple siblings tend to be more hesitant about sharing due to having to keep their stuff safe from their brothers and sisters.

3. Please don't assume all of us suffer from "only child syndrome"

The “syndrome” suggests that being an only child causes people to be rude, selfish, and unable to make friends. While only children can have these traits, their behavior is not directly caused due to a lack of siblings. As a fellow only-child pointed out, there are way too many rude and selfish people who have siblings to suggest siblings can prevent those negative attributes.

4. Big families can give us anxiety

While I’m an only child, I have a large extended family that I love being a part of. However, my anxiety would always skyrocket at my friends' houses who had several siblings. The constant noise and commotion greatly differed from my calm household. As soon as “rough-play” started, I was ready to bolt!

5. We are jealous that you have siblings to blame stuff on

Yeah, we had no luck in this department. There were only so many times I could blame stuff on my pets.

6. Our pets really are our siblings

They are our fluffy companions and the only threat to our “favorite child” status.

7. We honestly don't mind doing stuff by ourselves

8. We probably hate taking pictures by ourselves

9. Let us have our alone time for our sanity and yours

10. Not all of us feel like we "missed out" not having a sibling

While there are plenty of benefits with having siblings, I do not feel like being an only-child is a misfortune. I am extremely close to my parents and have great friends that are there for me like any sibling would be. So while I am sure I would have loved growing up with a brother or sister, the only-child life is the one I know and love.