10 Things To Know About Dating A Military Man

This is for all of the girls beginning a relationship with a military man.

2255
Google

Dating a military man can be difficult, but if you know what to prepare yourself for, it can be very rewarding..

I hope these tips are helpful!

1. Communication

Communication is HUGE. Do not say "I'm fine" when you're really not. Do not hide your feelings. Instead, say what is bothering you and work through your problems together. There will be times where your options of communication are limited, so keep your relationship healthy and say what's on your mind!

2. You will be anxious and worried

Depending on what branch of the military your man is in, and whether he's Active or Reserve, you may not know when his next deployment will be. It is normal to worry, but cross that bridge when you get there.

3. You live in different worlds

Civilian life and military life are completely different. For my college girls out there, he will have a hard time understanding what you're experiencing and you will have a hard time understanding what he's experiencing. At the end of the day, it's important to respect each other's lives, no matter how different they are, and to support one another's decisions.

4. Complaining is okay

When I first learned what my boyfriend, who is in the Army, goes through with training and his intense schedule, I felt horrible complaining about my small problems. I've learned that you cannot compare each other's difficulties, but instead be there to listen and help one another through hard times.

5. Mental Health

As hard as it is to comprehend, you must be prepared for his different kind of mindset. When you attend a concert or see a mall full of people, your man sees discomfort and anxiety. Try to be understanding of this.

6. False assumptions

It is so frustrating when people try to tell you that "all military guys are jerks" and that "there's no way you can both remain loyal to one another." It hurts when you express your feelings to others and they coldly say: "you signed up for this." Ignore the haters and keep loving each other!

7. Holidays

I've been fortunate enough to have my boyfriend home for the holidays, but there will be occasions were he is unable to get off work. Holidays can be celebrated whenever you want!

8. His vocabulary

There will be SO many words that he will use, words that only people in the military use, that will be SO unfamiliar to your everyday life. You will be very confused at first, but I promise you'll catch on after a while!

9. Brotherhood

The military is a brotherhood. The bonds they have with each other are unbreakable. You need to understand that you will not understand the type of bond they have with each other. Respect that.

10. Time with them is so precious

When you guys are unable to physically see each other often, you will have a deeper appreciation for your relationship. Make every second count!

So, if you're struggling or have worries about dating a military man, just know that it is hard, but it's also very rewarding and can fill your life with so much happiness!