10 Things to do Outdoors this Spring

10 Things to do Outdoors this Spring

Looking for fun spring activities? Check out this list of the top 10.
279

1. Hike

One of the best spring activities to do after being cooped up inside all winter is to go on a hike. Whether it be at a local park or a destination hike, get out there and breathe in the fresh air. Hiking strengthens your muscles, lowers the risk of heart disease, and improves blood sugar and blood pressure levels. Hiking can bring you natural highs, when breathing in fresh air and gazing at beautiful scenery.

2. Picnic

One of the most simple ways to enjoy spring weather is to have a picnic outside. Head to your local park with a blanket and a basket and enjoy the sounds of the birds, and the sunshine.

3. Bike ride

Bike riding is a great way to exercise if there are paths in your area. Bike riding helps build muscle, preserves cartilage, and is easy on joints. Check out your local park and recreational area for bike trails. The best trails for beginners are mostly downhill and on a balanced path.

4. See the cherry blossoms

This may be the most famous and most beautiful outdoor spring activity. Popular in the south, especially in Washington D.C., visiting the cherry blossoms is a nationwide favorite. It is a great venue for taking photos or videos, and is a rather inexpensive day trip. Along with the cherry blossoms in D.C. there are parks all over the country to visit, like the Branch Brook Park in NJ, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, the Esplanade in Boston, and the Shofuso Japanese House and Garden in Philadelphia.

5. Go to an outdoor music festival

Going to an outdoor music festival is a great way to enjoy the weather and celebrate the season. Artists such as Cardi B are performing at the Broccoli City music festival on April 26-28 in Washington D.C. this spring. Don’t forget the annual Governor’s Ball in NYC, equipped with food trucks, great music, and lawn games. To wrap up your spring festivities, hit the Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Delaware with camping, glamping, and RV’s.

6. Go horseback riding

The best places to go horseback riding in the spring are at the beach. Riding is not permitted in the summer, due to beach goers and tourists. April and May are the best months to go because the beaches will be rather empty, and it is still nice out. What is more beautiful than horseback riding on the beach?

7. Go to a farm or zoo

Whether you're going with the family or a significant other, going to see the new baby animals in a farm or zoo is adorable. Visit the Central Park Zoo or the Bronx Zoo to admire animals from pandas to penguins. Or if you want a more personal visit, head to your local petting zoo and feed those adorable alpacas some graham crackers.

8. Feed the ducks

This may be one of my favorite childhood memories that me and my siblings did together, once the weather was nice. Grab some leftover/stale bread and feed the ducks at your local pond, park, or marina. The best part about feeding the ducks is they get close enough to you for you to admire their beautiful feathers, which are shades of green, blue, and red.

9. Pick strawberries

Picking your own fresh fruit is arguably one of the best spring activities. Being able to pick your own fruit is great because it’s fun and delicious, and you can pick your produce out yourself. Strawberry season lasts from April to June, but peak season is in the month of May.

10. Fly a kite at the beach or in a park

Let’s go fly a kite, up to the highest height! Flying kites is a great throwback activity to do at the beach or the park in the spring and summer. Different colored kites in the sky makes for a great photograph, and makes great memories.