10 Things To Do During Your Painfully Long Break Winter Break

Other than spend time with friends and family, obviously.

19
Unsplash

It's that time of year again. We have a break between semesters in which we go home for the longest month of our lives. This is the much-awaited break full of catching up on sleep, spending time with friends and family we haven't seen, and no homework. This break is a lot of fun because we get to see all of our friends and family and go to our favorite places close to home. However, this break also becomes painfully long when there's nothing to do...because let's be honest: it's a really long break. That's where I come in to save the day again. So without further ado, here are some super fantastic and fun things to do when there's nothing else to do during your break.

1. Write a letter to you future self

It doesn't matter if it's a letter to you in 10 years or in 10 days. You're never going to be exactly the way you are right now. Things happen over time that can shape us as people and our ways of thinking. Reading about how you thought in the past is pretty cool and important to stop and self-evaluate and reflect which will overall make you a worthwhile person.

2. Stare at a wall

There’s probably a wall or two at your disposal while you’re in your house alone all day. Think about it: you’ve lived in this house for years and have probably never truly taken the time to investigate the walls. Unless you have in which case I really don’t know what to tell you here.

3. Listen to some new music

Music is awesome is an understatement. But there's so much different music out there that you've definitely never heard of. Listening to new music is a really fun thing to do. Worse comes to worse, you don't like it and you stick to what you already know but you could end up with a new favorite band.

4. Learn a useless skill

Learn how to fake sneeze, how to shuffle a deck of cards, how to do some papier-mâché, how to make shadow puppets, how to make a lamp out of household items, make a fart sound with your arm and mouth. These are skills to have for no reason other than to say you have them

5. Read a book or paint a picture

There's some things that you probably like to do that is considered leisurely, such as reading or painting. These are the things you may not have had time for in college. This break is a great time to do those things you love and enjoy.

6. Watch "The Intern" with Robert DeNiro and Anne Hathaway for the millionth time because that movie is always on for some reason

Seriously. Anyone who has spent an appalling amount of time watching television this break knows the this movie has been on way too many times. It's not a bad movie. It's just not really the type to watch 50 times...or even twice, honestly.

7. Watch the clouds

I don't know about you but I've never actually watched the clouds unless it was a joke. Maybe there's some cool stuff up there. Maybe not and this is a stupid tip. Only one way to find out. Unless you live in a climate like New York and the ground is freezing everyday of your break. In which case, I would recommend a lawn chair and some blankets. But even then, that's some dedicated cloud-watching.

8. Eat everything in your house

Who says college makes you gain weight? If you're alone in your house, there's probably tons of food at your disposal. There's probably a bunch of snacks that you don't even have to prepare. Like those open bags of chips with a clip or twisty on the them...they're going to go bad if you don't eat them honestly so you might as well stuff your face. Oh and it's all FREE.

9. Watch a pre-Scientology Tom Cruise movie

Because Tom Cruise is just adorable and his movies are pretty great for the most part. I'm talking about young Tom Cruise for the record, but I think that goes without saying.

10. Sit around and overthink every aspect of your life to a point of anxious mental break-down

This might just be me...I don't know. Let me know how you feel.

Thanks for making it to the end of this article. If you enjoyed it please give it a share on Facebook. I hope you all have a great break with friends and family and good luck to all on second semester.