10 Things This Single Girl Learned on Valentine's Day

It's okay.

11

1. I am not alone

It is so easy to feel lonely and to think that everyone else in the world is in a loving relationship. That’s just not true. It’s easy to fall into an attitude of bitterness towards the holiday, but more importantly, towards those who are in relationships. This Valentine’s Day, I admittedly felt sorry for myself. I thought that, by this time in my life, I would have me “The One”- whatever that means… But the simple truth of the matter is that I haven’t met him, and that’s okay. I have a lot of other relationships that fulfill me and encourage me. Until I meet him, that’s enough for me.

2. Flowers, and bears are overrated. Chocolate is not.

Everyone knows that the best part of Valentine’s Day isn’t actually February 14th. The best part of V-Day is most definitely February 15th. Why, you might ask? 50% off Valentine’s Day Chocolate, that’s why! And yes, I may have eaten away my sorrows with a rather large Hershey Kiss and that’s okay.

3. Heart shaped Chicken Minis are Chick-fil-a’s best idea yet.

They love Jesus. They’re closed on Sundays (which is sometimes a bummer). They greet you with a smiles and a “Welcome to Chick-fil-a”. They wear visors inside on rainy days. They have frozen lemonade. They have play-places… The list goes on and on. All these things are top notch, but you want to know the best idea Chick-fil-a has come up with? A collection of chicken minis shoved into a heart shaped box! It’s such a beautiful thing. As much as I loved my giant Hershey Kiss, heart shaped chicken minis is where it’s at!

4. Facebook is the enemy.

If you were alone, like me, on Valentines day, this goes without saying. I’m so happy that a lot of my friends have found the person that God specifically designed for them but is it too much to ask for a little understanding? I wish that people in relationships would think outside of their little love bubble and recognize that not everyone’s life has worked out like their’s has. I’m not being bitter or selfish here- I’m really not. My thoughts go out to the people who have suffered the loss of a spouse. I recognize the gnawing feeling I had all day and I can only imagine what someone who lost their person must have felt. So I have vowed to stay off Facebook on February 14th and when my person does come along, I vow to love them everyday, not just Valentine’s Day. Which brings me to my next point…

5. Love everyday.

Seeing these cute couple posts on Facebook or Twitter makes me wonder just how often those couples actually love each other. Does it have to take a nationally recognized holiday to persuade you to show affections to you person? I surely hope not. When my man does come along, I hope we have a love that is reflective of the ultimate Love everyday. I hope people look to us and see Christ every day of the year.

6. I find joy in singleness.

I know what you’re thinking- no, you don’t. And you would be right. I don’t find much joy in singleness- that is until I realize that this is where God has me right now. Bitterness is crippling. It really is. After I had my pity party, I found myself praying for The Lord to send me my person NOW! But the things is, he’s not ready now, and to be honest neither am I. If we were ready, we would be together. He works all the things together for the good of those that love Him and are called according to his purposes. The thing is, for now, He finds it good for me to be single. That is such a hard pill to swallow, but it is truth. In order to work things for my good, I must be single now. In order for me to fulfill His purposes for my life, I must be single now. That’s just the way it is. I may not like it but I can find joy in it.

7. Rom-Coms are a bad idea

As many of you know, I just landed a job with a publishing company. Instead of finishing the sci-fi fantasy manuscript I had been sent, I dove into a romance novel and poured salt on my already festering broken heart. I cried and I lived vicariously through fictional characters on the page instead of getting over myself. When I was done with that I watched Love Actually which, if you’ve ever seen it, you know is a bad idea for anyone with a sad heart. I do not recommend doing what I did.

8. When it’s over, it’s over.

The good thing about Valentine’s Day is once it’s over, it’s over. The next day you may enjoy your discount chocolate, but the sting has passed and it’s Wednesday.

9. Laughter can sooth the soul

While feeling sorry for myself, I decided to go back and scroll through my Facebook pictures. As if Memories is not enough… I’m not sure if you’ve ever braved through your post and pictures from the ninth grade so let me quench your curiosity. You were lame. You were dumb. You were embarrassing. Now that you know, save yourself the trip. But if you’re looking for a good laugh, venture on.

10. I have the greatest love of all time.

It corny and cliche but it’s true. No man will ever love me more that Jesus does. He died for me and I don’t see anyone else lining up to do that. Even in my most pitiful, selfish, and self-loathing state, He prays for me - intercedes for me - sings over me - and pardons me. He is the ultimate love. With that, I’ll be okay.