10 Things That Drive Salina Citizens Crazy

For a town that many of us consider "home," a lot of us can't stand to be here.

163
RE/MAX Advantage REALTORS, Inc.

Salina, a place so many of us call home. Most of us think of it being just a temporary, "I'll move away after high school" home. However, this town has a hold on us that drags us back in. Whether you come back to visit the fam who's still here or are considering Salina your "home" for awhile or for good, there's some things we can all relate to that drive us crazy.

1. The drivers,

Seriously, my road rage is higher here than probably any other city. I can stand the KC rush-hour traffic, because at least people are trying to get to their destination as fast as traffic will allow them. Not Salina drivers. They are far too-content driving 10 mph or more under the speed limit, next to each other, so us normal drivers can't get anywhere.

2. The stoplights,

I do not and will never understand how our stoplight system works. I swear I've sat at the Claflin and Ninth St. light for ages, not to mention the Crawford and Ohio intersection after school gets out or everyone just got off of work.

3. And the trains.

A train here usually has 20 cars on it, and it takes 20 minutes for it to try to pass over a crossing. Most of the time they cross, stop, and back up to their original position. WTF?

4. Everyone "knows" everyone's business.

Or at least thinks they know your business. While a town of 50,000 isn't the smallest town I've lived in, everyone seems to "know" everyone here. What I mean by "know" is that they know your name, have probably heard something about you, etc., especially if you grew up here. Salina is notorious for having your business blasted out there by word of mouth or on some Facebook group, and usually your bad business, never the good. Words get twisted here.

5. Tweakers.

Please, stop, if you're one of them. Get help and get off the drug.

6. Chik-fil-A is alwaaaaays busy.

I haven't been to our Chik-fil-A since it opened, because the line is always outrageously long when I drive by. Don't get me wrong, I love me some nugs, but I hate waiting. When Qdoba opens up though, you'll know where to find me!

7. Panchos' relocation

But really, Panchos. It's been weeks without us being able to drunkenly come through and order all the best, late night Mexican food we can get. Please open up at your new location. We miss you!

8. Our mall is turning into a ghost town.

As if our options weren't limited already, stores are closing down left and right in the Central Mall.

9. Everyone and their mom decides to stock up on every food item when any severe weather could happen.

One day the weatherman says, "Stock up and prepare to be snowed in. The weather is moving in, and we're expecting a foot of snow." Everyone and their mom is out at Dillon's and Wal-Mart stocking up on the necessities. But wait, the next day, weatherman says, "We're just going to be getting a trace of snow. We'll be lucky if it even sticks." *eye roll*

10. The people who hate living here but are still here.

There are thousands of cities in the U.S., not to mention another six continents you could move to. Yet, you're stuck tripping on one city. If you hate it so badly here, move. Literally nobody is making you stay. Maybe I could finally get through that Chik-fil-A line.

When it comes down to it, Salina isn't that bad of a town. If you surround yourself with good friends, find a job you enjoy, and put the bullsh*t in the back of your mind, living here is manageable. Truthfully, this town will always have a little place in my heart, but will never be my forever home.