10 things to be Thankful for on Thanksgiving

'Tis the season to give thanks.

404
Rusty Scupper

Thanksgiving is briskly approaching. It feels like Halloween just happened, but here we are, with Thanksgiving knocking on our door. Before we know it, Christmas is going to come waltzing around the corner. It is easy to lose track of time once the holidays roll around. Life gets hectic between work, classes, finding the perfect gifts for your love ones. Too often, Thanksgiving is bombarded with propaganda promoting deals for Christmas, significantly taking away from the Thanksgiving season. However, Thanksgiving is a chance for us to take a step back and be thankful, not just during the holiday season, but year-round.

1. Family.

There are many people who do not have any family to spend the holidays with. If you have a family who loves you and welcomes you, then you already have the best gift you could ever have in the world. Our family are the people we too often overlook, but we are all so lucky to have people who love us, regardless of who that may be. Be sure to hug your loved ones extra tight, and let them know how much you love them.

2. America, "Land of the Free."

Recently, I feel like the only thing I have heard or seen on any type of social media is negative views of our country. Some people were thrilled by the election results, and some were devastated. But you know what? The fact that we live in a country where we are free and have the right to vote is a remarkable thing. People all over the world are denied rights that we do not think twice about. We all need to take a step back and be thankful that we make up a nation of free, opinionated people.

3. Friends.

I'll be the first person to tell you that I have the best friends in the world. Given, I know that everyone believes they have the best friends, and maybe to all of us we do have the best. I am thankful for my friends every day, but this time of the year makes me realize just how lucky I am that these wonderful people came into my life.

4. Food.

Let's all be honest; every single one of us looks froward to the food we get to eat together as family and friends on Thanksgiving. I personally prefer the ham to the turkey, and I'm a big fan of the wine selection. Regardless of your favorite food, how amazing is it we all come together and get to be thankful for each other over such a beautiful meal?

5. Leftover Halloween candy.

You may be too old to trick-or-treat anymore, but your aunt or cousins with little kids still have a stash of candy. It is the giving holiday, so be sure to treat yourself to it. I know you're eyeballing those Reese's cups.

6. Christmas break.

If you are a college student or even high school, then one of the best things about Thanksgiving break is the realization that winter break is just around the corner and you are homebound for at least a month, allowing you all the time for Christmas activities.

7. Leftover Thanksgiving food.

We all know that one of the best things about Thanksgiving is the leftover food. Whether you simply reheat it, or make yourself the staple that is a Thanksgiving left over sandwich, Thanksgiving is simply the meal that just keeps on giving.

8. Thanksgiving football.

Football is always great, but there is just something special about crowding around the TV with your family and cheering on your favorite teams. Sure, things can get heated, but all in good fun, right?

9. Netflix.

If you are anything like me, you are going to binge watch at least a full series over break. And without Netflix and other streaming sites, this would be more difficult.

10. Life.

How lucky all of us are that we get to live a free life? We get to choose who and what we want to be. Who we want to be friends with, what we wear and what we want to eat and read and watch. How lucky we all are to have all these opportunities.

This Thanksgiving, let's all take the moment to step back and truly appreciate this life that we get to live. In a world that can often be full of negativity, take the time to focus on the positive in your life.