10 Things a Perfectionist College Student Should Feel Proud About

But in our crazily competitive society, it's easy to feel like you aren't doing enough.

223

College is full of new experiences, accomplishments, and things to feel proud about. But in our crazily competitive society, it's easy to feel like you aren't doing enough. If you're feeling this way, here are 10 things to remind yourself to be proud of every morning.

1. You're at college.

I know this is really obvious. But it's something that a lot of people, once in college, seem to take for granted. Once classes start and assignments start piling up, people tend to start feeling like they are just falling behind, and the fact that they made it into college seems not to matter as much as the upcoming midterms, finals, and presentations. But I'm here to remind you that the fact that you got accepted into a college, any college, is amazing! In fact, according to IvyWise, college acceptance rates dropped as low as 4.65 percent this past year!! So give yourself a pat on the back - you're already killing it just by being here.

2. You tried something new.

Whether it was a club, a new friendship, a class you weren't sure about taking, or simply the experience of college, you've taken a step outside your comfort zone and tried something totally different. And that's awesome! It's hard to go out and do something we aren't comfortable with, especially in an environment that's unfamiliar. Trying something new is the only way to find out what you like (and what you don't like). So keep going and don't feel bad if something doesn't fit quite right.

3. You bounced back from failure.

Speaking of trying something new, you bounced back from failure, too. I know you did. Because we all tend to fail at something just about every day. We tried something new, and it actually didn't work out. Don't look at it as a bad thing though. You tried something new, which is amazing, and you didn't let the failure from it get you down (past those first 5 minutes of embarrassment, at least). So be proud, smile, and try something else. And don't be afraid of failure. Every experience has something you can learn from.

4. You took some time for yourself.

And you feel totally guilty about it. You pushed aside your planner full of assignments and indulged in your favorite Netflix series with a bowl of ice cream. I'm here to say, good for you! Sometimes our minds need a little mental health break. And I have something to make you feel even better - when you're stuck on something, the best thing you can do is push it away and come back to it later. Your unconscious mind will keep working on it, and when you come back to it, you'll have tons of fresh new ideas. Totally honest - go Google it.

5. You are working towards contributing to society.

Look at you, you little philanthropist! Who knew you were so selfless and giving? It's true. You majored in something because somehow, someway, you know you have talent in that, and it's your way of giving back to society. Even if you don't consider it all that giving (we can't all be missionaries or doctors), you really are contributing to society. Someone inspired you to take on this career, and one day you're going to do that for another little dreamer. So kudos to you--you're going to be someone's hero!

6. You encouraged someone else.

Wow, so you not only are looking towards helping people in the future, but you are helping people right now. I applaud you. Don't remember doing this? That kind word you gave the other day? The smile you flashed at someone before walking into your classroom? These things matter. A smile can save a life. You just encouraged someone by showing them that someone cares, and the world isn't so scary after all.

7. You listened to someone.

Listening is hard. It's harder to listen to someone than it is to talk (another crazy fact to Google, or just learn in your communications course like I did). Listening to someone makes them feel worthy, self-confident, and like they matter. And that's important, because we all matter, even though we often can feel like we don't. And if you can't remember really listening to someone, think back to that lecture you just came from. I know, you're still trying to forget. But professors need to feel like they matter sometimes, too. Even though you were technically required to listen to them, it still made them feel good. It reminded them they have something worthy to say, and that's pretty exciting for anyone to realize.

8. You did something active.

You're taking care of yourself. You are breathing in that fresh air and working those legs. Didn't hit the gym? That's okay - the walk across campus seems to be quite enough. Walking every day is actually one of the greatest things you can do to stay healthy. So you're doing for others and yourself. Did I mention how awesome you are?

9. You made someone feel loved.

Whether it was your college roommate who was feeling homesick, the person you sat with at dinner who was worried no one would sit with them, or your mom on that phone call from home, you made someone feel loved. And that's what we're really all here to do. So you fulfilled your life's purpose, and so young, too!

10. You're here today.

I know it's crazy to say it, but this really is an achievement. We've all been through tough times in our lives when we wanted to give up or take the easy way out. But you didn't. You've taken care of yourself and worked hard, and it's brought you far in life. And it's going to take you amazing places. So stay strong and keep pushing, even when those assignments are piling up. Because you are an amazing, beautiful human being who is worthy of all the amazing things happening in your life.

And honestly, just that is worth celebrating.