How To Be A Good Older Sibling
Siblings

10 Truths Oldest Children Know To Be True, Tale As Old As Time

The bond between siblings is interesting to say the least.

328
Arianna Agarwal

Being the oldest sister to two younger brothers is both a blessing and a curse, and most definitely has its ups and downs. One minute we will be in the middle of a conversation and the next minute one of them will throw something at me. At some times they are the coolest little dudes, and other times I contemplate pushing them down the stairs. Our relationship may be unpredictable, but here are some things I know to be true about being the oldest sibling.

You got everything the latest

I got my first cell phone in 6th grade. My younger brother, on the other hand, got his first phone in 2nd grade. Who do you need to call or text in second grade?! Santa??

You were a free tutor

When mom or dad wasn't around or didn't want to help with homework, you were able to since you "probably just learned this stuff" and "you have more time on your hands." Sorry, but I have better things to do on a Friday than 2nd-grade math.

You also doubled as an in home babysitter

No matter what prior plans you have, if mom or dad need to go you're obligated to stay… free of charge of course.

You were expected to be the responsible one

When you make a mistake you are chastised for it because "what if your younger sibling now think that is okay to do?" OK, well, IDK, maybe tell them it's not OK?

You know how to take charge

No, I'm not being bossy. I am getting things done those are two very different things.

Your parents were more lenient with your siblings

I can barely even say the word stupid in front of my parents but my little brother can get away with saying the curse word ABC's over here?

You feel really old when they hit a new ‘benchmark’ in life

One of my brothers just finished his first year of high school and is taking drivers ed right now. This is not OK, I feel like I just was in high school taking drivers ed. How is he going to be driving soon? Didn't I just learn how to drive?!

You can play the "I'm the oldest card" in any and all situations

Whether it's "I'm the oldest I'm always right" or "I'm the oldest I get the front seat" or "I'm the oldest I get to pick the movie," it's a universal wild card.

You were basically a test trial

Whatever your parents did wrong with you, they fixed with their next child. Honestly, you should be proud of turning out so well considering the fact we are basically just the guinea pig kid.

You love those crazy kiddos

No matter how much they annoy you, there's nothing like having a younger sibling. no matter how annoying they can be, I was blessed to get two and I can't even imagine (nor would I want to imagine) what life would be like without them in it.