10 Things No One Tells You About Having A Beauty Instagram Account

Is it as easy as it looks?

156
Elena Oliveira

We are living in a time when everyone is obsessed with makeup, or at least it looks like a lot of people are trying to get their makeup artistry out in the world, myself included. I think that makeup is a controversial topic in the modern world that we live. There are so many opinions and every single person has a different approach. In my opinion, every single person can do what they want and I applaud the people who are talented enough to make a living out of makeup. From what we see on the internet, we can think that being a recognized makeup artist is easy, but here are the things that I have learned since I started my own Instagram beauty account.

1. Building up your makeup collection

No one realizes how much makeup you actually need to create the killer looks that we see on Instagram and Youtube. When I started my beauty account, I already had the basic things that you need: a couple of lipsticks, mascara, bronzer, highlight, and more. It helped that I was obsessed with makeup before I even started posting pictures on Instagram. One thing I realized is that makeup is expensive and buying drugstore makeup is a pain in the ass because they don't always have the color that you need or you can't try it on to see if the color actually fits you. You can start with as many products as you want, but I wanted to have everything I needed to create a full-on dramatic look.

2. Watching Youtube videos

In my spare time, I watched Youtube videos of makeup artists that are well known and makeup artists that are starting. All of them have been my inspiration since I started thinking about creating a beauty account. Also, it is an excellent way of learning new techniques and/or trends.

3. Doing makeup on you and your friends

Something that is really important to understand is that you cannot be amazing from the start because you are always learning and evolving. The easiest way to start is to experiment with your own looks and then move on to put makeup on other people. I say this because that way you are mastering the skills on yourself first, but it is always difficult to put makeup on others because they have different features and not always the looks that work for you are going to be the best for them. Also, everyone has their own tastes so you will have to ask them what they like before getting excited and doing a look that they would not like.

4. Experiencing a creative block

It's normal to experience a lack of creativity sometimes and everything depends on the time you have at your disposal. It is difficult to come up with new ideas when you have to keep posting weekly. Also, sometimes you will feel like you have already seen similar makeup looks and that discourages you.

5. Not having enough followers and not knowing how to get them

You have to build your follower base; in other words, you have to keep working until you achieve your goal. It is not possible to start having 10k followers, they will come one by one. What you have to do is promote your page, tell your friends, go on a following spree on Instagram, publish your pictures on other social media platforms, but the most important is to keep posting and never give up.

6. Not having professional equipment for pictures

It is hard to try to build your own beauty empire when you live in a small college dorm. The only equipment that I have is my phone and my desk light, and of course, a really good roommate that helps me get that perfect angle. Lightning is a big factor in trying to get the perfect picture and sometimes your makeup can be amazing but it doesn't show on pictures.

7. Feeling like you are just one of the many

There are a lot of people trying to get their makeup looks out there and it is normal to feel like you are just another one because you are. The good thing is that every single person that is trying to make it has different strengths and skills, meaning that each one of them is going to target a different audience. It does not matter if you go viral, it is important that you still try because you can be the lucky one.

8. Tagging famous artists on your posts

We've all been there, we tag famous people to make them look at our pieces hoping that they will repost them. We are not the only ones, it is possible that each of those people receive millions of notifications a day, but we still try because you can only hope.

9. How much work it takes to put on makeup and taking the perfect picture

The entire process of putting makeup on takes near an hour and a half, meaning that I will put makeup on, take a picture and take it off, most of the time. In other words, I spend an hour and a half of my day putting a look together, then another half an hour trying to get the perfect picture, and then if I am not going to wear it outside my room I would take it off. Some looks are not wearable, but that does not mean that you have to take it off. You put a lot of effort putting it all together so enjoy your creation.

10. Realizing that you cannot have every single product that's out there

It feels like every week every makeup brand launches a new product. Of course, it is almost impossible to get everything there is for these reasons: money and it is impossible for one person to wear all of that makeup. To have every product you would need to wear everything only once and have multiple jobs to afford it. My recommendation is to be smart about it, find something you really like and buy it.

My point is that everyone should have the opportunity to find themselves in the beauty world and to experiment. What I love about makeup is that you can create a new person each time you create a new look. Also, it is relaxing, it helps me focus on something that I enjoy and explore bold looks that I would've never worn before. So, if you are trying to experiment with makeup never give up because you can only get better. Have fun with what you are doing and everything else will come next