10 Things I Never Thanked My Big Sister For

(There's more than ten by the way)

24
Jennifer VerMeulen

1. Thank you for being such a good student throughout high school. It made it so much easier on me when my teachers realized that I was your younger sister. The first day of class they already liked me thanks to you.

2. Thank you for pushing me down when I was growing up. For picking on me sometimes. For toughening me up. It might seem silly, but learning that i can't always have my way was a really good lesson to learn early on. Every ounce of humility (no matter how much or how little you think I have) is thanks to you and these little lessons.

3. Thanks for coming to all of my sports games. I know it wasn't your favorite thing to do- cheering on your little sister for an hour and a half when you could've been hanging with your friends, but you did. And you did it for years. No matter how far we traveled you tagged along, and helped critique and refine my skills after each game.

4. Thank you for telling me when I'm wearing too much makeup, or calling me out when I look like I didn't put any effort into my outfit for the day. Yeah, sometimes you hurt my feelings when I actually DID try but I'd rather you be honest than let me walk out of the house looking ridiculous.

5. Thank you for giving me a reason to work hard while I was in school. Your good grades and drive to learn pushed me to do better, be better, and work harder, and it has now translated into my adult life.

6. Thank you for recognizing how different I am from you, but encouraging me to embrace who I am. You might not have all the tattoos I do. You might not wear the same type of clothing. You might not like how messy my hair is, but you still tell me that I'm pretty and you make me feel accepted for who I am.

7. Thank you for being the logical thinker. I'm the dreamer. The one who always asks "what if". You're grounded and even though I encourage you to be more positive and upbeat sometimes, we're the perfect mix. I need you as much as you need me in this department.

8. Even though you hate me for stealing your clothes, thank you for letting me borrow them the few times I did ask. And when we were in middle school, thanks for giving me the best hand-me-downs ever. Looking back now, they were questionable, I'll admit. But back then, I thought they were just the coolest.

9. This ones a double edged sword. Thank you for moving out of the house when you got your first big girl job. I say it's a double edged sword because it really sucks. You're far from home and I don't see you nearly as much, but it was the best thing to happen to our friendship. It not only made me miss you more, but it also gave me a goal to work towards for myself.

10. Thank you for being the best example of a strong, independent, goofy, passionate woman. People only ever have positive things to say about you, and I'm so lucky to have had you to learn from the last 23 years.