10 Things Every Musician Wants Their Audience to Know

We do so much more than you will ever know

13
Chris Lee

Musicians. You see them everywhere. Busking in the streets downtown, playing an acoustic set at your Sunday brunches, or providing the romantic vibe at a wedding venue. They usually go unnoticed at times, but without them, so many nights that you've spent with friends or family would become horrifyingly bland. Whether or not you think about it, we as musicians love being able to play for whatever occasion asked of us! Music is a universal language that can be shared with so many...but sadly, there's still some miscommunication when it comes to our work.

1. We usually have other jobs.

Know that if you want to hire us to play, we usually will only be able to play in the evenings or weekends due to our regular work schedules. Most musicians you see in bars or restaurants aren't lucky enough to provide for themselves or their families with normal gig pay...which brings me to the next point of:

2. Respect our request when it comes to paying us.

I'm not saying that every musician or band knows the correct amount to charge, but if it seems reasonable in the first place, don't ask them to lower the price. They usually know how much their time is worth and won't try milking more money out of you or your establishment (so they can be hired by you again).

3. If you can't meet the ensemble's financial needs, don't be hurt if we turn down a gig.

Asking us to accept a certain number of social media likes as a trade for our music is like asking you to feed your children off of the number of selfies you post to Instagram. It doesn't pay for our gas, equipment, or food. We truly do want to play for you, but our basic needs have to met in order to do so.

4. Know basic concert etiquette.

In a more refined setting, such as a concert hall, this includes talking or texting on your cellphone during a performance, entering or leaving during the songs, or anything else that can be even slightly disruptive. We as musicians are extremely sensitive to outside sounds and sights during a performance, and your phone vibrating/lighting up/going off in the middle of a solo really can ruin the entire movement for everyone else listening.

5. DON'T CLAP BETWEEN MOVEMENTS.

Seriously. Don't. Wait for the conductor to put his hands down and step off of his podium to bow before you clap. If you're unsure, just don't do it. Please. -Every musician ever.

6. We are our own worst critics.

You may think that the performance you just watched was the best flute quartet you've ever heard, but trust me when I say that every person playing for you made at least 10 mistakes that they now have to spend hours on to correct. We'll smile and say "thank you" when you tell us how good we were, but we will always beat ourselves up over the smallest of errors.

7. Playing music isn't easy.

A lot of us spend nearly 40 hours a week rehearsing on our own or with our ensembles for a performance that may only last 30 minutes. We work ridiculously hard to give the best performances that we can for our audiences, even if it's for one or two songs. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes practicing that goes on weeks before a gig, especially if said gig was booked last minute or there is new music given to the musicians to learn. Be aware of who you're hiring and discuss music requirements ahead of time so that everyone can give their best performance for you.

8. Canon in D isn't the only wedding tune you can choose.

Trust me on this one.

9. Significant others, please be patient with us.

We're sorry for how much time we spend practicing instead of being with you sometimes. If we're lucky, we'll find someone who also plays music and understands our schedules (Score!). Our craft requires so much more than anyone thinks, and putting it before other things may not be what we want sometimes, but it's 100% necessary in order for us not to make fools of ourselves. There will be days that we rant about how horrible our tone is, and others we won't shut up about how good the vibe on stage was. So, thank you for putting up with our crazy minds and understanding that music is just a part of ourselves we can never live without.

10. We love what we do

You'll hear any music student or performer tell you the same thing: We don't make a lot of money, but being happy and playing from the heart is all that matters. At the end of the day, seeing our audiences' faces light up with each wave of music is what keeps us going.

So, no matter what the occasion, know that whoever is providing your music truly loves what they're doing, and works extremely hard to put a smile on your face. Your support for the arts truly means the world to us all, and we thank you for continuing to see the importance of our work.