10 Things I Miss About College During the Summer

Some of the things I miss the most from college.
10

During finals week, we all cannot wait to be done. We want to go home, see our families, and catch up on sleep. Spending time with family is definitely a good thing. It's also nice to relax a bit after finals week. Finals can be exhausting. We can't wait to get home, but once we do, we start to miss college. Here are some of the things I miss the most from college.

1. Spending time with my friends.

This is the number one thing I miss from college. In a previous article, I told incoming freshman to enjoy their first year with their friends. This belief stands stronger than ever. The friends you make are what will make your freshman year great. You'll spend time laughing over nonsense, doing homework together, etc. Not having your friends around is tough. The summer is spent with family, which is still fun, but I miss my friends dearly.

2. Having coffee and chai tea readily available.

This one is actually driving me up a wall. My parents and brother do not drink coffee or chai tea, so we don't keep a constant supply of either in the house. At school, I could walk down the street and have a coffee or chai tea anytime I wanted. Granted, my parents will pick up some chai tea from Walmart when they're there, but it's not constant like at college. At college, I am a caffeine addict and the barista is my supplier.

3. A variety of food within walking distance.

This is something that I kind of miss. It definitely isn't better than home cooked food, but there are some foods I crave from school. G&T, a sort of fast-food establishment at my school, is a place where my friends and I frequented often. Sometimes I miss the grossly deep fried chicken tenders.

4. Learning new information every day.

This one is odd. I did not expect to miss classes. I definitely don't miss taking exams and doing presentations, but I miss the daily routine of going to classes. I miss listening to professors lecture, as I try to cram a bunch of information into my brain.

5. Talking to my roommate.

I miss talking to my roommate. I miss being her roommate in general. Everything changes after freshman year, including who you room with. I was lucky enough to have a great roommate, who turned into a great friend. I'm living in the pet dorm next year, with one of my closest friends. She will definitely be a great roommate. My previous roommate earned the position of an RA next year. I'm super proud of her, and I hope we'll still be able to keep in touch when we're no longer roommates. I miss my old roommate and look forward to spending the year with my new roommate.

6. The freedom to make my own schedule.

This is quite difficult to do at home. Even though we're all adults now, we still have to follow our parents' rules and schedules when we return home. It's really weird being a college student. At college, you have total freedom to do what you want, when you want. At home, you have to do what your parents say, when they say. It's really hard to adjust when you switch between two roles in such a short period of time.

7. The constant interaction with my peers.

I miss this a lot. I don't have a lot of people to hang out with at home. I'll mostly spend the time with family this summer, which I'm excited to do. It's just kind of weird not having people my age constantly around. I could always go outside my dorm room and run into someone I could talk to or hang out with.

8. The independence.

The independence fits with the freedom to make my own schedule. It feels weird relying on mom and dad again. Eating their food and living under their roof, means that you are no longer entirely in charge of yourself. It's weird to readjust to being at home.

9. The goofy nonsensical interactions.

I miss this a lot too. It's part of why I miss my friends. People at college do goofy nonsensical stuff all the time. Whether it's sledding with mattresses or randomly buying exotic creatures, people at college do it all. It brings a sense of happy carefree humor, which I miss immensely.

10. Being able to have food delivered to my dorm.

I was actually so excited that I could have food delivered to my dorm. I live in a very rural area. Literally no food establishment will deliver to our house. I miss being able to order a pizza just because I feel like it.